How to Determine Phase Difference Between Two Sinusoidal Signals

In summary, the phase difference between two sinusoidal signals is calculated as follows:$$\theta = \omega \Delta T = \frac{2 \pi}{T} \Delta T$$
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have read that the phase difference between two sinusoidal signals is calculated as follows:

$$\theta = \omega \Delta T = \frac{2 \pi}{T} \Delta T$$

Where ##\Delta T## is the time difference. This formula confuses me as it was derived from nowhere.

I am asked to compute the phase difference between the two waveforms shown:

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 4.18.47 PM.png

Also how much does wave 1 lead wave 2?

Homework Equations

$$f = \frac{1}{T}$$
$$\omega = 2 \pi f$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused with the question itself. I know I am merely looking for the phase difference ##|\theta_1 - \theta_2|## between the waves.

Wave 1 appears to be a plain old sin wave (##v_1 = 1*sin(\omega t)##). Wave 2 is lagging behind wave 1 (##v_2 = 2*sin(\omega t + \phi)##).

Is that the right approach? Or do I read the periods of each wave off?

Physics news on Phys.org
The phase is relative to the wave period ##T##, so you need to figure out both ##T## and ##\Delta T## (as you can see from the equation you posted).

olivermsun said:
The phase is relative to the wave period ##T##, so you need to figure out both ##T## and ##\Delta T## (as you can see from the equation you posted).

##T## is what confused me as there are two different periods for each wave. Here's what I have so far:

IMG_0387.jpg

olivermsun said:

Sorry for the double, but I think I realized something. Is the period of both waves and not just one roughly 6.25? The time difference would be roughly 0.15.

Look closely — I think both waves have the same period ##T##.

Likes STEMucator
The formula you wondered about comes about from considering ##T## to be the period and ##\Delta T## to be a portion of ##T##. That means ##\Delta T / T## is the fraction of a full cycle of ##2 \pi## radians. So then:
$$\phi = \frac{\Delta T}{T} 2 \pi$$

As near as I can tell both waves have the same period.

One way to do this sort of problem is to identify similar zero-crossing points and use them for the instants of time that you'll be considering. By "similar" I mean where both waves are crossing the zero level in the same direction. Here's your picture with three such crossing points indicated. I've also laid a "ruler" along the zero V axis for convenience.

waves.png

Note that two time differences are indicated, ##T_a## and ##T_b##. One of them is smaller than the other. You generally want to take the smaller one because it will will yield a phase difference less than 180°. But it may make you re-evaluate whether wave 2 is leading or lagging wave 1!

If you are required to consider that wave 1 leads wave 2, then you'll have to live with the larger angular difference in this case.

Likes STEMucator
olivermsun said:
Look closely — I think both waves have the same period ##T##.

Cool, I now get:

##\theta = \frac{2 \pi}{T} \Delta T = \frac{2 \pi}{6.25} (0.15) = 0.151 rad##

I don't see where you're getting the 0.15 second value for ##\Delta T##.

gneill said:
I don't see where you're getting the 0.15 second value for ##\Delta T##.

##\Delta T## was not explained. It was only mentioned as the time difference once.

I think that it's the difference between the peaks? So ##\Delta T = 4##.

Then ##\theta = 4.02 rad##.

Zondrina said:
##\Delta T## was not explained. It was only mentioned as the time difference once.

I think that it's the difference between the peaks? So ##\Delta T = 4##.

Then ##\theta = 4.02 rad##.
It's the difference between any two equivalent points on the waveforms. Peaks are an example. But I find zero crossings can be determined more accurately. That's why I pointed out three choice ones on the figure.

gneill said:
It's the difference between any two equivalent points on the waveforms. Peaks are an example. But I find zero crossings can be determined more accurately. That's why I pointed out three choice ones on the figure.

Yes I liked your method as well, it actually helped me realize that it was really the difference between two equivalent points.

1. What is meant by phase difference in science?

The phase difference in science refers to the difference in the position of two waves at a given point in time. It is measured in degrees or radians and determines the relationship between two waves, such as whether they are in phase (peak to peak and trough to trough) or out of phase (peak to trough).

2. How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference is measured by comparing the position of two waves at a given point in time. This can be done by using an oscilloscope or by calculating the time difference between the peaks or troughs of the waves. The resulting value is then converted to degrees or radians.

3. What is the significance of phase difference in scientific experiments?

The phase difference is important in scientific experiments as it can affect the outcome of the experiment. In some cases, waves that are in phase can reinforce each other, resulting in a larger amplitude, while waves that are out of phase can cancel each other out. This can impact the accuracy of measurements and results.

4. Can phase difference be negative?

Yes, phase difference can be negative. It indicates that one wave is ahead of the other in its cycle. For example, a phase difference of -90 degrees means that one wave is at its peak while the other is at its trough.

5. What factors can cause phase difference in waves?

Phase difference in waves can be caused by various factors, such as the distance between the sources of the waves, the frequency of the waves, and any obstructions or mediums through which the waves are traveling. These factors can impact the speed and direction of the waves, resulting in a phase difference between them.