Phase of Simple Harmonic Motion: Determining the Phase at a Specific Time

In summary, the phase of a particle in simple harmonic motion is determined by the value in the brackets, which is 7pi/3.
sugz

Homework Statement

A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation x = 5sin(pi*t + pi/3). The phase (in rad) of the motion at t = 2s is

a) (7pi)/3 b) pi/3 c) pi d) (5pi)/3 e) 2pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the value for t=2 but I really did not know how to past this point. The answer is supposed to be a)

Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:

Homework Statement

A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation x = 5sin(pi*t + pi/3). The phase (in rad) of the motion at t = 2s is

a) (7pi)/3 b) pi/3 c) pi d) (5pi)/3 e) 2pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the value for t=2 but I really did not know how to past this point. The answer is supposed to be a)

Please show your work. What do you get for x(2)?

x(2) = 4.33. But how do I determine the phase? Is the phase simply what is in the brackets? So the phase is equal to 2pi+(pi/3)?

sugz said:
So the phase is equal to 2pi+(pi/3)?

Yes. What is that in radians?

Its 7pi/3. So for any equation of a particle in SHM, the phase is the part inside the brackets?

sugz said:
Its 7pi/3. So for any equation of a particle in SHM, the phase is the part inside the brackets?

Sort of. For a sinusoidal function (sin or cos), you can picture the value in 2-dimensions on a circle. The amplitude is the radius of the circle, and the point that rotates around the circle with time has some phase angle θ with the positive horizontal axis. If you have a sin() function like you do in this problem, then yes, the value in the () is the phase angle θ with the horizontal axis.

http://images.tutorcircle.com/cms/images/106/unit-circle-example.png

Attachments

• unit-circle-example.jpg
    unit-circle-example.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 618
Now I understand, thank you so much!

It may be true in general, but sometimes we define phase with respect to something, so I'm not sure it is a general statement. Others can correct that if appropriate. :smile:

Related to Phase of Simple Harmonic Motion: Determining the Phase at a Specific Time

What is the phase of an oscillation?

The phase of an oscillation refers to the position of the oscillating system at a specific point in time. It is often represented in degrees or radians, and can be used to describe the current state of the oscillation as well as predict future behavior.

How is the phase of an oscillation measured?

The phase of an oscillation can be measured by comparing the current state of the oscillation to a reference point, usually the starting point of the oscillation. This comparison is typically done using a trigonometric function such as sine or cosine.

What is the relationship between phase and frequency in an oscillation?

Phase and frequency are inversely related in an oscillation. This means that as the frequency of the oscillation increases, the phase decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation phase = 2π x frequency x time.

How does damping affect the phase of an oscillation?

Damping, or the gradual decrease in amplitude of an oscillation over time, can affect the phase of an oscillation by causing it to shift or lose its regular pattern. Depending on the type of damping, the phase of an oscillation may become more out of sync or converge towards a steady state.

Can the phase of an oscillation be changed?

Yes, the phase of an oscillation can be changed by altering the frequency or amplitude of the oscillation. It can also be changed by introducing external forces or changing the properties of the oscillating system. Additionally, the phase can be changed by adding or subtracting a constant value to the phase measurement.