Simple Harmonic Motion in x direction

In summary, the homework statement states that a simple harmonic oscillator with oscillations in the x direction has velocity given by:$$v_{x} = (2.2 \frac {\mathrm{m}} {\mathrm{s}}) \sin [(6.9 \frac {\mathrm{rad}} {\mathrm{s}}) t]$$.Find the values of ##\omega , A, f , T ,## and ##\phi##.The first problem is that the amplitude A is negative, and my understanding is that amplitude can only be positive. C is the integration constant, and is related to the average displacement. I get x = A \cos(\omega t - \frac{\pi}{
Yubsicle

Homework Statement

A simple harmonic oscillator, with oscillations in the x direction, has velocity given by: $$v_{x} = (2.2 \frac {\mathrm{m}} {\mathrm{s}}) \sin [(6.9 \frac {\mathrm{rad}} {\mathrm{s}}) t]$$.
Find the values of ##\omega , A, f , T ,## and ##\phi##

Homework Equations

$$v_{x} = \frac {dx}{dt}$$
$$x = A \cos (\omega t - \frac{\pi}{2}) = A \sin \omega t$$
$$\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T} = 2 \pi f$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated v with respect to t and got $$x = (-0.3188\mathrm{m})\cos [(6.9\frac{rad}{s} t)] $$
(I'm assuming that the integration constant C = 0, please correct me if I'm wrong). The first problem I have is that A is negative, and my understanding is that amplitude can only be positive. Do I take the absolute value of -0.3188 and get ##A = 0.3188##, did I make a mistake, or do I need to do more steps?
The second problem is that the formula is ##x = A \cos (\omega t - \frac{\pi}{2})## but i don't have a ##-\frac{\pi}{2}## anywhere. Again, is there an easy fix, did I mess up, or have I not completed all the steps needed? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to your general phase shift ##\phi##?

Oh, it looks like I misread my textbook. Apparently ##x = A \cos(\omega t - \frac{\pi}{2})## only works if ##x = 0## when ##t = 0##, and otherwise it's ##x = A \cos(\omega t + \phi)##. So I was wrong in assuming that C = 0.
That brings me to $$(-0.3188 \mathrm{m})\cos [(6.9\frac{\mathrm{rad}}{\mathrm{s}})t]+C$$ , which is missing ##\phi## and I really don't know what to do about C. Where do I go from here?

Yubsicle said:
So I was wrong in assuming that C = 0.
Not really. The integration constant is related to the average displacement. This can be chosen to be zero. The general statement for ##x## with this choice is what you gave, ##x = A \cos(\omega t + \phi)##. Try applying some trigonometric identities to this.

I think I get it now. Plugging ##t = 0## into the equation given by the problem gives ##v = 0##, so ##\sin(\omega t+ \phi) = 0## if ##\phi = 0## and so ##x = A \cos\omega t## . However, I still get ##A = -0.3188##. Do I just take the absolute value, since the cosine function has the same "height" on both sides of the y-axis (not sure how to word it)?

Yubsicle said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated v with respect to t and got $$x = (-0.3188\mathrm{m})\cos [(6.9\frac{rad}{s} t)] $$
(I'm assuming that the integration constant C = 0, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Not relevant to the problem, but OK.
The first problem I have is that A is negative, and my understanding is that amplitude can only be positive.
Right.
Do I take the absolute value of -0.3188 and get ##A = 0.3188##, did I make a mistake, or do I need to do more steps?
You could but you can also wind up with an expression with A>0. Consider -cos(x) = sin(x + φ) & you pick the correct φ.
The second problem is that the formula is ##x = A \cos (\omega t - \frac{\pi}{2})##
? I don't think that is a correct solution for x(t) regardless of the constant of integration or the sign of A.

Yubsicle said:
I think I get it now. Plugging ##t = 0## into the equation given by the problem gives ##v = 0##, so ##\sin(\omega t+ \phi) = 0## if ##\phi = 0## and so ##x = A \cos\omega t## . However, I still get ##A = -0.3188##. Do I just take the absolute value, since the cosine function has the same "height" on both sides of the y-axis (not sure how to word it)?
I suggest you do what I proposed and apply trigonometric identities to the general expression.

Yubsicle said:
I still get A=−0.3188A. Do I just take the absolute value
No, just taking the absolute value, and keeping all else the same, yields a different equation, so will not match the data. The equation with a negative amplitude is a valid description of x, but doesn't fit the canonical form. I.e., by convention, we generally arrange that the amplitude is positive by adjusting the phase.

Alright, I used the trig identity ##\cos(\theta + \pi) = -\cos(\theta)## and got ##\phi = \pi \:\mathrm{rad}## and ##A = 0.32\:\mathrm{m}## (rounded to 2 sig figs), as well as ##\omega = 6.9\:\mathrm{rad/s} , T = 0.91\:\mathrm{s}, f = 1.1\:\mathrm{Hz}##. Is my use of trig identities, and the value for ##\phi## correct?
rude man said:
Consider -cos(x) = sin(x + φ) & you pick the correct φ.
Does it matter that I used ##\cos(\theta + \pi) = -\cos(\theta)## instead of the one you suggested?

Yubsicle said:
Is my use of trig identities, and the value for ϕ correct?
Yes.
Yubsicle said:
Does it matter that I used ##\cos(\theta + \pi) = -\cos(\theta)## instead of the one you suggested?
No, that's fine.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction?

Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It is often described as a pendulum swinging back and forth or a mass on a spring oscillating.

What causes Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction?

Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This force is usually provided by a spring or other elastic material.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the relationship between period and frequency in Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. The frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The relationship between period (T) and frequency (f) is T = 1/f, meaning that as frequency increases, the period decreases.

What are some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction?

Some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion in the x direction include the motion of a swing, a pendulum, a mass on a spring, a tuning fork, and a vibrating guitar string. It can also be seen in the motion of atoms and molecules in a solid, as well as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.