Phase shift of e.m. wave through a glass plate

In summary: The resulting amplitude is ##E_0 \sin (kx-\omega t) + E_0 \frac{\omega(n-1)\Delta x}{c} \cos(kx-\omega t)## which is the original wave with a small additional wave of amplitude ##E_0 \frac{\omega(n-1)\Delta x}{c}## and phase shift π/2.
crick

Homework Statement

Consider a glass plate of refraction index n and thickness ## \Delta x ## placed between a point monochromatic source S and an observer O, as in picture.

(a) Prove that, if absorption from the plate is neglegible, then the effect on the wave received by O is the add of a phase difference ##-\omega (n-1)\Delta x/c## without changing the amplitude ##E_0## .

(b) If the phase shift is small, (##\Delta x \sim 0## or ##n \sim 1##) prove that the wave received by O can be seen as the superposition of the original wave of amplitude ##E_0## and a wave of amplitude ##E_0 \omega (n-1) \Delta x/c##, with a phase shift of ##\pi/2##.
Immagine.png

Homework Equations

##E(x,t)=E_0 cos (kx-\omega t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I know that there is a path difference between a wave that propagates in air and a wave that propagrates in the plate which is ##n \Delta x## and from this derives a phase shift as in the text. Nevertheless I'm not really sure how can I prove it.

Anyway most of my doubts are about point (b). I find it difficult to understand where to start to prove this fact, any help is highly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
crick said:

Homework Statement

Consider a glass plate of refraction index n and thickness ## \Delta x ## placed between a point monochromatic source S and an observer O, as in picture.

(a) Prove that, if absorption from the plate is neglegible, then the effect on the wave received by O is the add of a phase difference ##-\omega (n-1)\Delta x/c## without changing the amplitude ##E_0## .

(b) If the phase shift is small, (##\Delta x \sim 0## or ##n \sim 1##) prove that the wave received by O can be seen as the superposition of the original wave of amplitude ##E_0## and a wave of amplitude ##E_0 \omega (n-1) \Delta x/c##, with a phase shift of ##\pi/2##.
View attachment 128401

Homework Equations

##E(x,t)=E_0 cos (kx-\omega t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I know that there is a path difference between a wave that propagates in air and a wave that propagrates in the plate which is ##n \Delta x## and from this derives a phase shift as in the text. Nevertheless I'm not really sure how can I prove it.

Anyway most of my doubts are about point (b). I find it difficult to understand where to start to prove this fact, any help is highly appreciated
Assume the original wave ##E(x,t)=E_0 \sin (kx-\omega t)##. The glass slab causes a phase shift, so the new wave at O is ##E(x,t)=E_0 \sin (kx-\omega t + Φ)##. Apply the addition law for sin (α+β) taking α=kx-ωt and β=Φ=(n-1)Δxω/c. Use that the phase difference Φ is small, so cos(Φ)≈1 and sin(Φ)≈Φ.

What is the phase shift of an electromagnetic wave when it passes through a glass plate?

The phase shift of an electromagnetic wave passing through a glass plate is determined by the difference in the refractive indices of the glass and the surrounding medium. This results in a phase difference between the incident and transmitted waves.

How does the thickness of the glass plate affect the phase shift?

The thickness of the glass plate has a direct effect on the phase shift. The greater the thickness of the plate, the greater the phase shift will be. This is because the wave has to travel a longer distance through the glass, resulting in a larger phase difference.

What happens to the phase shift if the incident angle changes?

If the incident angle changes, the phase shift will also change. This is due to the change in the path length of the wave through the glass plate. As the incident angle increases, the path length increases, resulting in a larger phase shift.

Does the frequency of the electromagnetic wave affect the phase shift?

No, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave does not affect the phase shift. The phase shift is only determined by the refractive indices of the glass and the surrounding medium, and is independent of frequency.

Can the phase shift be manipulated by changing the properties of the glass plate?

Yes, the phase shift can be manipulated by changing the properties of the glass plate, such as its thickness or refractive index. This can be useful in applications such as optical communication and signal processing.