PhD Position in Physics in Germany - Info for Foreigners

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for a PhD in Physics in Germany as a non-German student. The advice given is to research the acceptance rates and guidelines for international applicants, and to reach out to professors or group leaders through email or in person to express interest in their work. It is also mentioned that changing cities may be seen favorably and to be cautious of information found online, as the German system differs from the US system. It is recommended to secure a regular paid position rather than a fellowship, and to ask about additional expectations besides research. Additionally, it is mentioned that having a letter of recommendation can be beneficial in the application process.
Roula
Hello everyone :)

I am going to finish my master thesis in physics ( Nano-science ) in Germany at rostock university within the next two months, and i would like to apply for PhD in other city.

I am not a German.

I would like to ask, whether it is very difficult to get a PhD position in Physics in Germany ?

Some friends told me that it is very difficult for the foreigner to shift to new university to do the PhD.

I have not sent any application or any E-mail yet, because i need someone to give me some useful information.

anyone has an idea about this issue ?

with my best regards

Roula,

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest looking at the acceptance rates of those universities (maybe they even have a separate one for international applicants) and their guidelines for international applicants (for example, do they have a similar criteria as that of German applicants).

Likes 1 person
Best thing is to ask the people you have worked with during your masters degree, did you do an internship? If so, ask your supervisor.

At any rate, you will only find out by trying: send out applications with letters of recommendation and write a good cover letter that describes in a few sentences why you would like to do a PhD in the particular lab.

It's likely you will get several rejections, because there aren't many positions. Maybe the person you're applying to has a recommendation for another lab, or you can try and write a grant application with them (research beforehand if there are opportunities for PhD fellowships).

OP, you should take with caution any information you find in the web on applying for PhD positions, as they are often geared towards the US system, and the German system does not work anywhere like that. For example, you generally do not need letters of recommendation (I've never heard of this), you do not write a formal cover letter (you write a regular email), and you should not expect the institutes to which you apply to know anything about the official universitiy's policy on how PhD applications are supposed to be handled. Similarly, you do not get "accepted" into a program[1] (in fact, most universities have no "programs"), instead you get hired and paid as a staff scientist ("Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter").

The standard way of getting a PhD position is indeed to look for professors or junior group leaders you would like to work with, and either (a) write them an email saying that you are interested in working with them or (b) talk to them at conferences. In those emails you should write a bit about your prior work and why you are interested in working with them specifically. You might need to write a few of those, as the persons might currently not have positions available, but often they have (particularly if they are big in their field). Changing cities is often seen favorably, and I do not see why this should be any more difficult for a German citizen than a non-German one (in fact, I doubt people would consider this as a factor at all).

[1] An exception to this is if you apply for one of the new graduate colleges, which indeed have programs you can get accepted to. Whether this is a good idea is anyone's guess. For example, you'd then need to do lectures, homeworks, etc., which are otherwise usually not required since you already have a MSc.

Likes 1 person
And, as a side note: Unless after a longer search you cannot find a regular paid position as staff scientist, do not take a PhD fellowship. Unlike the standard regular employments, fellowships do not count for your social security savings (health insurance, retirement credits, etc), and you not only get paid less now, but also have less security than you would otherwise have.
If you have multiple offers, it also helps to ask what, besides research, would be expected of you. Often you would have to do some teaching or lab assistance, but to which degree that happens differs widely in different labs (anything from none to half of your total time is common).

cgk said:
For example, you generally do not need letters of recommendation (I've never heard of this)
Whether it is required or not, having such a letter is a great asset. I regularly write them for students, including those who apply for an internship-, PhD- or industry position in Germany.

you do not write a formal cover letter (you write a regular email)
Sure, write the text in the e-mail addressed to the person you want to work with. I mentioned a cover letter, because of the structured advice that's given on writing one, one shouldn't just write a quick e-mail: put some thought into it.

Thanks for all for your answer :)

1. What are the eligibility requirements for a PhD position in Physics in Germany for foreigners?

The eligibility requirements for a PhD position in Physics in Germany may vary depending on the university and specific program. Generally, applicants must have a degree equivalent to a German Master's degree in Physics or a related field, as well as a strong academic record and research experience. Fluency in English or German may also be required.

2. Are there any scholarships or funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in Physics in Germany?

Yes, there are several scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in Physics in Germany. These include the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarships, which are open to students from all countries, as well as scholarships offered by individual universities and research institutions.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Physics in Germany?

A PhD in Physics in Germany typically takes between 3-4 years to complete. However, this may vary depending on the specific program and research topic, as well as the individual student's progress. It is important to keep in mind that the duration of a PhD also depends on the time spent on research and writing the dissertation.

4. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in Physics in Germany?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics in Germany. However, it is important to check with your university and visa requirements to ensure that you are allowed to work and to understand any limitations. Additionally, it is important to balance work and study responsibilities to ensure the successful completion of your PhD.

5. What are the career prospects after completing a PhD in Physics in Germany?

Completing a PhD in Physics in Germany can open up a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to become researchers, professors, or work in research and development positions in various industries. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained during a PhD program can also be applied to other fields such as data science, engineering, or finance.