What is the origin of the factor 3?

In summary, the three-phonon interactions Hamiltonian is given by a sum over indices and is symmetric. To derive the Heisenberg equation of motion, we take the commutator of ##b_i## with the Hamiltonian. After simplification, we get a result with a factor of 3, which can be explained by a simplification in the previous step.
July Zou
Homework Statement
below
Relevant Equations
below
We have the three-phonon interactions Hamiltonian $$H_{\mathrm{ph}-\mathrm{ph}}=\sum_{i j k} M_{i j k}\left(b_{-i}^{\dagger}+b_i\right)\left(b_{-j}^{\dagger}+b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^{\dagger}+b_k\right).$$
We will not need the explicit expression for the $$M_{ijk}$$
here, but only note that it is symmetric in all its indices and fulfill $$M_{i j k}=M_{-i-j-k}^*$$ and further assume $$M_{-iij}=0$$
To get the Heisenberg equation of motion
$$ i\hbar \frac{d}{d t} b_i =\left[b_i, H_{ph-ph} \right]$$, we have derived
\begin{equation}
\begin{aligned}
\left[b_i, H_{ph-ph} \right]&=\Big[ b_i, \sum_{i j k} M_{i j k}\left(b_{-i}^{\dagger}+b_i\right) \left(b_{-j}^{\dagger}+b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^{\dagger}+b_k\right) \Big]\\
&= \sum_{ijk} M_{ijk} \Big(\left[b_i, b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right]\left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right) \\
&\quad + \left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left[b_i, b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right]\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right) \\
&\quad + \left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left[b_i, b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right] \Big)\\
&= \sum_{ijk} M_{ijk} \Big(\delta_{i,-i} \left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right)\\
&\quad +\delta_{i,-j} \left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right)+ \delta_{i,-k}\left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right) \Big)\\
&=\sum_{jk} \Big( M_{-ijk} \left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right)\\
&\quad +\underbrace{M_{-jjk}}_{0} \left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right)+ \underbrace{M_{-kjk}}_{0}\left(b_{-i}^\dagger + b_i\right)\left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right) \Big)\\
&=\sum_{jk} M_{-ijk} \left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right).
\end{aligned}
\end{equation}

However, the result is $$3\sum_{jk} M_{-ijk} \left(b_{-j}^\dagger + b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^\dagger + b_k\right)$$, where is the factor 3 from? Should it be $$\sum_{ijk}M_{ijk}\delta_{i,-i}=3\sum_{jk}M_{-ijk}?$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
July Zou said:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\left[b_i, H_{ph-ph} \right]&=\Big[ b_i, \sum_{i j k} M_{i j k}\left(b_{-i}^{\dagger}+b_i\right) \left(b_{-j}^{\dagger}+b_j\right)\left(b_{-k}^{\dagger}+b_k\right) \Big]\\

\end{aligned}
$$
You should not use ##i## as a summation index if you are getting the equation of motion for ##b_i## with some fixed ##i##.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark

1. What is phonon-phonon scattering?

Phonon-phonon scattering is a process in which phonons, which are quantized vibrations in a lattice, interact with each other and exchange energy and momentum. This results in the scattering of phonons and can affect the thermal conductivity and other properties of materials.

2. How does phonon-phonon scattering affect thermal conductivity?

Phonon-phonon scattering can reduce thermal conductivity by disrupting the flow of phonons and causing them to scatter in different directions. This reduces the efficiency of heat transfer in materials, leading to lower thermal conductivity.

3. What factors influence the strength of phonon-phonon scattering?

The strength of phonon-phonon scattering depends on factors such as the temperature, the type of material, and the phonon frequency. Higher temperatures and materials with strong interatomic bonds typically have stronger phonon-phonon scattering.

4. How does phonon-phonon scattering affect the electrical conductivity of materials?

Phonon-phonon scattering can also affect the electrical conductivity of materials by causing phonons to scatter and disrupt the flow of electrons. This is known as the phonon drag effect and can lead to a decrease in electrical conductivity.

5. Can phonon-phonon scattering be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, phonon-phonon scattering can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as alloying, nanostructuring, and doping. These methods can alter the phonon scattering mechanisms and lead to changes in the thermal and electrical properties of materials.