Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)

In summary, the deadline for submitting photos to the feather duster photo contest is February 8th. Any photo that features a feather duster can be submitted, with minor edits allowed but major edits not accepted. Participants can submit up to 3 photos each, and a panel of judges will review and select the winning entries.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Feather Duster

Your subject this week is on "Feathers". The main subject of your photo must be either on feathers, or something with feathers. This might be a bird, or a hat, or a feather duster. It must show a clear indication that the subject has feathers. And it must be real feathers, not fake ones.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I particularly like about this pic is the subtlety of seeing in the reflection the red feather undercoat that you can't see directly. Also the way the large feathers come together at the tail end explains exactly why a particular hair style in the 50's was called a DA.

duck1.jpg

Attachments

• _duck1.jpg
    _duck1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 389
  • duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu, berkeman, davenn and 2 others
phinds said:
What I particularly like about this pic is the subtlety of seeing in the reflection the red feather undercoat that you can't see directly. Also the way the large feathers come together at the tail end explains exactly why a particular hair style in the 50's was called a DA.

View attachment 238175

Why is the viewing area an oval?

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin
ZapperZ said:
Why is the viewing area an oval?

Zz.
I had already cropped the pic that way in my files due to having used it on a web page many years ago.

EDIT: Hey ... that page is still there. I had pretty much forgotten about it:

http://phinds.com/misc/pics/index.htm

It has enormous versions of the duck and other fauna pics

Last edited:
Likes YoungPhysicist
YoungPhysicist said:
Woah! You have a website of your own name?
Why would I want to use someone ELSE's name? :smile:

Likes jtbell, YoungPhysicist and davenn
phinds said:
I had already cropped the pic that way in my files due to having used it on a web page many years ago.

Technically, this photo has been modified beyond what is allowed for this contest. However, I'll let it stand (unless you want to change it to something else) and will include a note that the shape of the picture should not be used as a factor in the photo's favor.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Technically, this photo has been modified beyond what is allowed for this contest. However, I'll let it stand (unless you want to change it to something else) and will include a note that the shape of the picture should not be used as a factor in the photo's favor.

Zz.
OK. Sorry. Didn't read the rules since I've been participating in these for a while and thought that I knew them. I'll poke around again and see if I can find the rectangular original but I'm pretty sure it's gone.

EDIT: found it, fixed it.

Stockholm 029.jpg

Attachments

• Stockholm 029.jpg
    Stockholm 029.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 335
Likes BillTre, kuruman, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
A group of vultures is called a "committee" if they are just assembled. If they are feeding, it's a "wake". In this committee it's clear who the chair and who the late comer are.
Feathers - 1.jpg

Attachments

• Feathers - 1.jpg
    Feathers - 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Likes AlexCaledin, DrClaude, BillTre and 2 others
bright feathers.jpg

Attachments

• bright feathers.jpg
    bright feathers.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 304
Likes jtbell, AlexCaledin, BillTre and 2 others
Beautiful. What is it and where did you take the pic?

I encountered this colorful little creature years ago at the San Diego Zoo, as I recall. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact species.

Rubidium_71 said:
I encountered this colorful little creature years ago at the San Diego Zoo, as I recall. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact species.
Well, "bird" will have to do :smile:

I think he could have possibly been a little parrot of some type, but again I'm not 100% sure, it was a long time ago. In a way I'm doubling down on this one, because my avian avatar is backing him up. :wink:
Risking a non-feathered remark: your avatar looks like a Samoyed dog and I think they're great. I had one growing up and I think about him every time I see one of your posts. He was a good dog. :)

Rubidium_71 said:
I think he could have possibly been a little parrot of some type, but again I'm not 100% sure, it was a long time ago. In a way I'm doubling down on this one, because my avian avatar is backing him up. :wink:
Risking a non-feathered remark: your avatar looks like a Samoyed dog and I think they're great. I had one growing up and I think about him every time I see one of your posts. He was a good dog. :)
Nah, I'm a Great Pyrenees. The Samoyed's are real lightweights compared to me but they do look very similar.

B59A357F-E7A2-4613-837D-465FB4A9D647.jpeg

Attachments

• B59A357F-E7A2-4613-837D-465FB4A9D647.jpeg
    B59A357F-E7A2-4613-837D-465FB4A9D647.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 293
Likes berkeman and AlexCaledin
On the Millet Bowl this morning
feather5098.jpg

(at this shot, the Model got scared away for I forgot to turn off the shooting sound of the remote-controlled camera)

Attachments

• feather5098.jpg
    feather5098.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Likes Rubidium_71, BillTre and DrClaude
Young common chaffinch.

marzena_Feather_Duster.jpg

Attachments

• marzena_Feather_Duster.jpg
    marzena_Feather_Duster.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 305
Likes BillTre, berkeman, fresh_42 and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of the "Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)"?

The purpose of this photo contest is to encourage individuals to capture and share creative and visually appealing photos of feather dusters. It aims to showcase the beauty and diversity of this common household cleaning tool through the lens of photography.

2. Who can participate in the "Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)"?

This photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and an eye for creative shots. It is not limited to professional photographers and is open to amateurs and hobbyists as well.

3. How do I submit my entry for the "Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)"?

To submit your entry, simply follow the instructions provided in the contest announcement. Typically, you will need to post your photo on social media with the designated hashtag or tag the contest page in your post. Make sure to also read and comply with the contest rules and guidelines.

4. How will the winner of the "Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)" be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate the entries based on creativity, originality, and overall visual appeal. The judging criteria may vary depending on the specific guidelines of the contest, so make sure to read them carefully.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the "Photo Contest - Feather Duster (2/2-2/8)"?

The prize for the winner may also vary depending on the contest, but it can range from a cash prize to a gift card or a photography-related item. The specifics of the prize will be announced in the contest guidelines.