Photo Contest - It Costs An Arm And A Leg (8/24-8/30)

In summary, The theme of the photo contest is "It Costs An Arm And A Leg" and the submission deadline is August 30th at 11:59 PM EST. Participants can submit up to 5 photos for free and a panel of judges will determine the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It Costs An Arm And A Leg

This week, we dive into luxury. Your photo must have, as its main subject, something that is very expensive for its type.

For example, a house is significantly more expensive than a pencil, but it doesn't mean that a photo of any house is sufficient. The house must be clearly seen as being a value that exceeds those around it, or it can clearly be seen by an average person as possibly costing quite a bit of money to buy. As another example. a hamburger is usually cheap, but a $1000 hamburger that you buy somewhere in Las Vegas is considered to be extremely expensive... for a hamburger. So that $1000 hamburger qualifies, even though that is way cheaper than buying a house.

Get it?

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a competition with that same title a few years ago. But then the emphasis was on arm and leg, this time it is on cost.

I only found out a few weeks ago what that phrase came from. Before photography people used to have their portraits painted if they could afford it. If they could afford only so much they might get head and shoulders. If you wanted an arm and a leg in the picture, it would cost you correspondingly.

I just thought you might like to know. :oldsmile:

• Haha
Likes jtbell, DennisN, Borg and 1 other person
I guess that people were working their butt off to pay for it. :oldtongue:

Likes DennisN and Ibix
And some people who didn't order a portrait probably found the price difficult to stomach.

nsaspook said:
View attachment 248643
Stripview corner suite at the Cosmo during March Madness.

Original link.
https://live.staticflickr.com/7882/46560984605_0bb7231a24_o_d.jpg

Unfortunately, there are two problems with this entry.

1. Panoramic shots are considered as too much "manipulation" of the photo and relies too heavily on a specific feature of a camera or device. So we don't accept panoramic shots on the typical weekly contest.

2. The thing that "costs an arm and a leg" here, presumably, is the suite. However, that isn't the main subject of your shot. Rather, it is the view out of the suite. So the object that is considered to be expensive is not the main subject of your photo.

Because of those issues, the submission doesn't qualify.

Zz.

• Sad
Likes nsaspook
ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, there are two problems with this entry.

1. Panoramic shots are considered as too much "manipulation" of the photo and relies too heavily on a specific feature of a camera or device. So we don't accept panoramic shots on the typical weekly contest.

2. The thing that "costs an arm and a leg" here, presumably, is the suite. However, that isn't the main subject of your shot. Rather, it is the view out of the suite. So the object that is considered to be expensive is not the main subject of your photo.

Because of those issues, the submission doesn't qualify.

Zz.

The view is what costs an "costs an arm and a leg" here over the price of a standard sized suite at the hotel. Will resubmit with a standard shot if possible but only a 'pano' can capture the entire view.

1566797539641.png

The Thai baht is very expensive now compared to other S.E. Asian currencies ( Vietnam, Philippenes) as well as compared to the past. In the early / mid 2000's 1$ bought 40 baht ,now about 30 baht. So suppose one had a monthly income of $2000 then before 80,000 b/mo. now 60,000b/mo . In dollar terms 20,000b/30b/$ a loss of $666/mo.

This currency has appreciated so much that some here no longer qualify for long term visas when their home currency is converted to baht/mo. Most noticeably U.K and Australia. With border line Euro cases.

Chinese hot money flooding in is one problem for baht strength. This local currency appreciation has dampened tourism and exports. Some here say the baht is artificially inflated for the benefit of the very wealthy 1% of the Thai population. These elites buy property in London as well as any other foreign assets, and suspiciously also have the means to control the exchange rate.

This Macintosh Pro and Apple Studio Display, plus additional memory and internal hard disks, cost me an arm and a leg in 2008. This was a splurge after receiving an inheritance.

D395499D-FB94-4418-B133-F4B19B51C318.jpeg

They’re long overdue for replacement. I haven’t been able to upgrade Mac OS for a few years. Maybe this fall I’ll finally get a new “loaded” iMac or iMac Pro, which won’t be as expensive, but probably faster and more powerful.

Jekyll Island Club Resort, Georgia. Stayed in the quarters reserved for J.P. Morgan back in the day - not haunted.

arm-leg---1.jpg

Likes BillTre, davenn and jtbell
My wife and I visited Jekyll Island about ten years ago, but we stayed in the cheaper 1950s-1960s lodgings a short drive from the old resort.

It even has a bank for the background to emphasize the theme of the contest.
Car and Bank copy.JPG

• Love
Likes morrobay, kuruman, BillTre and 2 others
ZapperZ said:
The Biltmore Estate costs more than an arm and a leg.
Zz.
You mean admission just to see it, of course.

Had to delete my original photo. Thanks to kuruman's sharp eye, I forgot that I had used that photo in another contest. Now I have to go hunt for another one.

Zz.

Expensive statuary- and public display cost both legs:

DSC02303.jpg

Likes nuuskur and BillTre
I'm sure they cost a pretty penny for gloves, even at the time. And they work for the category doubly so as they go on the end of the arm.
gloves.png

Likes DennisN and BillTre
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Meet Sue, the T-rex at Chicago's Field Museum, that was bought at an auction for $8.3 million.

IMG_1373.JPG

Zz.

• Wow
Likes BillTre, DennisN and nuuskur
This would cost a King's ransom.

fullsizeoutput_1086.jpg

Likes DennisN
Zz, On MY Computer this ^^ is signed as 800X600 pxl, but if you see it not right please tell me asap so I still have time to hopefully get it right this time at last :bow:

epenguin said:
Zz, On MY Computer this ^^ is signed as 800X600 pxl, but if you see it not right please tell me asap so I still have time to hopefully get it right this time at last :bow:

It is fine.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "It Costs An Arm And A Leg". This means that participants are encouraged to submit photos that represent the high cost of living or the sacrifices people make to afford certain things.

2. When does the photo contest start and end?

The photo contest will start on August 24th and end on August 30th. Submissions will be accepted during this time period only.

3. How many photos can I submit?

Each participant can submit a maximum of 3 photos for the contest. Any additional submissions will not be considered.

4. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and wants to showcase their creativity and interpretation of the theme. It is open to all ages and skill levels.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500. There will also be 2 runner-up prizes of $250 each. All winners will also have their photos featured on our website and social media platforms.