Photo Contest - Panorama (3/31-4/6)

In summary, a panorama photo is a wide-angle photograph that captures a wider field of view than a typical photograph. To participate in a photo contest with the theme of "Panorama", one must submit their panorama photo through a designated submission form and follow the guidelines and rules carefully. Prizes are usually awarded to the winners of the contest, which may include cash prizes, photography equipment, or exposure opportunities. The number of submissions allowed may vary depending on the contest rules.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Panorama

Most of our smartphones and cameras have the ability to allow us to take a panoramic shot, often by simply scanning and moving our devices. So, for this contest, show us your best or favorite panorama shots. These panorama photos may be taken with the help of your devices, or it may be a result of photo-stitching using an app or software.

For this contest alone, the size restriction will not be enforced in terms of pixel size. However, please note that the forum has a 3 MB limit on file size for uploading.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes Rubidium_71
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, I like doing these kinds of pictures.
This is a montague of 30+ pictures I took at a small river going into the Pacific in Washington state to the west of the Olympic peninsula forest.
I call it "Log Pile".
In phtoshop, it was 2 GB. A strait jpg of it is 95 MB. This is a mini-version of 355 kb.
In the bigger versions, you can zoom in and see a kid on the beach with a ball.
I figure the logs either got hung up and snagged out of the flow or as the river's path widened the flow dropped and the logs "precipitated out" in some way.
super-small log pile.jpg

Attachments

• super-small log pile.jpg
    super-small log pile.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 420
Likes DennisN
panorama of Manhattan shot from New Jersey. I cut it down to half size to upload but the forum apparently throws away 90% of it so it's shown here at about 10% of my half-size reduction, so this is 5% of full size. At full size you can read signs, see cars, etc.

later edit: FULL SIZE -> www.phinds.com/manhattan/

_stitched 19b.jpg

Attachments

• _stitched 19b.jpg
    _stitched 19b.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 365
  • _stitched 19b.jpg
    _stitched 19b.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Likes DennisN, davenn and BillTre
20160720_182821.jpg

Taken from the midpoint of the Golden Gate bridge.

Attachments

• 20160720_182821.jpg
    20160720_182821.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 388
Likes DennisN, lekh2003, davenn and 2 others
Sadly, due to technical limitations forum software rescales every picture so that what we can see is just a sad reflection of the original image.

I am afraid the only way of making this reasonable is to post images AND link to the image hosted elsewhere (check this old post to see what I mean).

Likes davenn
Harbour at night.
36057541331_6f2892066d_c.jpg

A larger resolution photo is here (4000 x 941 pixels).

Attachments

• 36057541331_6f2892066d_c.jpg
    36057541331_6f2892066d_c.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 356
Likes hyunxu and BillTre
At Parashuram Kund, Arunachal Pradesh, India:

P1060528.JPG

The large rock that you see in front of the mountain at the back, is supposed to be the axe of Parashuram, who was a avatar of Lord Vishnu as per mythology. Before returning to heavens, he left his axe here.

Attachments

• P1060528.JPG
    P1060528.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 368
Likes DennisN and BillTre

Attachments

• milky%20way_equirectangular_zpsgv6cf9ok.jpg
    milky%20way_equirectangular_zpsgv6cf9ok.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 355
Likes hyunxu, Rubidium_71, DennisN and 1 other person
I love panoramic photos, so I hope that the Panorama-rama theme becomes a regular event. :)
St Maarten Waterfront.jpg

Attachments

• St Maarten Waterfront.jpg
    St Maarten Waterfront.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 323
Likes DennisN and BillTre
Full rainbow over the city of Miami.

IMG_3599.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 328
Likes hyunxu and DennisN
Final day to submit your panoramic photo for this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Full rainbow over the city of Miami.
Am I seeing a very faint second rainbow too in the photo, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Likes Wrichik Basu
DennisN said:
Am I seeing a very faint second rainbow too in the photo, or are my eyes deceiving me?

There is. Double rainbows are not that easy to see (I've only seen it very clearly for the entire arc only once before). So this was unusual.

Zz.

Likes Wrichik Basu and DennisN

1. What is a panorama photo?

A panorama photo is a wide-angle photograph that captures a wider field of view than a typical photograph. It usually consists of multiple images stitched together to create a seamless, panoramic view.

2. How can I participate in the photo contest?

To participate in the photo contest, you can submit your panorama photo through the designated submission form provided by the organizer. Make sure to read and follow the guidelines and rules carefully before submitting your entry.

3. Is there a specific theme for the photo contest?

Yes, the photo contest has a specific theme which is "Panorama". This means that your submitted photo must be a panorama or a wide-angle photograph that captures a wider field of view.

4. Are there any prizes for the winners of the photo contest?

Yes, there are prizes for the winners of the photo contest. The exact prizes may vary depending on the organizer, but they usually include cash prizes, photography equipment, or exposure opportunities.

5. Can I submit more than one photo for the photo contest?

It depends on the rules set by the organizer. Some photo contests may only allow one entry per participant, while others may allow multiple entries. Make sure to read the guidelines carefully to know the limit for submissions.