Photo Contest - Parallel Lines (1/5-1/11)

In summary, the photo contest theme is "Parallel Lines" and participants can submit up to 5 photos in JPEG format that do not exceed 5 MB in size. The contest is open to anyone interested in photography, and winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Parallel Lines

Besides being the title of Blondie's classic album from the 70's, this is also a concept that we deal with in mathematics, engineering, physics, and architecture. Your photo must show, as its main subject, these parallel lines. While optical/visual perspective may be a consideration, your photo must clearly show that there are parallel lines in the scene.

Please note that, per our contest rules, a picture of a picture does not qualify. It means that a photo of a drawing, sketch, or another photo of parallel lines does not qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Trees growing parallel to each other qualify?

Only if it can be clearly seen that the trunks are parallel to each other.

Zz.

14122017(001).jpg

Attachments

• 14122017(001).jpg
    14122017(001).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Likes morrobay, jtbell, DennisN and 3 others
I cannot help, I had to post the obvious:

upload_2019-1-5_22-45-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-5_22-45-10.png
    upload_2019-1-5_22-45-10.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 613
Likes DennisN, AlexCaledin and phinds
Tower City (former railroad station concourse) in Cleveland, Ohio

parallel_lines.jpg

Attachments

• parallel_lines.jpg
    parallel_lines.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 378
Likes Rubidium_71, Andy Resnick, AlexCaledin and 1 other person
IMG_20181130_143739.jpg

Parallel pilings, Naklua

Attachments

• IMG_20181130_143739.jpg
    IMG_20181130_143739.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 381
Likes AlexCaledin and BillTre
But it isn't drawn. It's as artificial as railroads or stone steps are. Just later than those.

parallel---1.jpg

Attachments

• parallel---1.jpg
    parallel---1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 354
Likes jtbell, AlexCaledin, DrClaude and 2 others
These are all parallel line segments! :smile:

Likes BillTre
"Statue" near Columbus Circle in Manhattan
upload_2019-1-7_3-45-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-7_3-44-15.png
    upload_2019-1-7_3-44-15.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 261
  • upload_2019-1-7_3-45-19.png
    upload_2019-1-7_3-45-19.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 611
Likes YoungPhysicist, DennisN, AlexCaledin and 6 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Are those rocks loose or cemented together?
Interesting question. I've passed this thing dozens of times but never looked that close. I'd guess that they are cemented. This IS Manhattan after all :smile:

Also, I'm not even positive that those are shaped natural stones as opposed to artificial stuff made to look that way.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Monument.jpg

Attachments

• Monument.jpg
    Monument.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 338
Likes DennisN and scottdave
57a897b8-1750-4e3d-8f9d-463e9e9540a5-original.jpg

Attachments

• 57a897b8-1750-4e3d-8f9d-463e9e9540a5-original.jpg
    57a897b8-1750-4e3d-8f9d-463e9e9540a5-original.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 337
Likes DennisN, BillTre, Ibix and 1 other person
IMG_20190107_101904-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_101904-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190107_101904-01.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 347
Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:
But it isn't drawn. It's as artificial as railroads or stone steps are. Just later than those.

Unfortunately, it is a picture of drawn lines (in this case, it is printed), and falls under the similarly disqualified category of a picture of a picture. So it doesn't count.

Zz.

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, it is a picture of drawn lines (in this case, it is printed), and falls under the similarly disqualified category of a picture of a picture. So it doesn't count.

Zz.
I accept the ruling, but the reasoning is weak: it's a picture of a box, not of a picture. Yes, it's printed - millionths of times each day - but not drawn. Technically I do not see a difference between a printer and a machine laying railroad tracks - neither is natural nor manmade.

fresh_42 said:
I accept the ruling, but the reasoning is weak: it's a picture of a box, not of a picture. Yes, it's printed - millionths of times each day - but not drawn. Technically I do not see a difference between a printer and a machine laying railroad tracks - neither is natural nor manmade.

Then this is no different than someone taking a picture of a print showing an amazing scenery.

If I didn't state in the beginning (and in the Rules), then sure, we can have this argument. But I believe I've made this exceptionally and repeatedly clear that this type of photo does not qualify, and we've had this rule for many years since the beginning of this contest. So this isn't a surprise.

Whether the "difference" is artificial or not is a separate matter. As long as it is clear on what is permissible and what isn't, then I do not see the issue here.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Parallel Lines". This means that the photos submitted should showcase parallel lines in a creative and visually appealing way.

2. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, you can submit more than one photo to the contest. Each participant is allowed to submit up to 3 photos for consideration.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of camera or editing software used?

No, there are no restrictions on the type of camera or editing software used. Photos can be taken with any type of camera and edited with any software as long as they fit the theme and are original work.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The decision of the judges is final.

5. Is there a prize for the winner of the photo contest?

Yes, there will be a prize for the winner of the photo contest. The prize will be announced at the end of the contest period and will vary depending on the sponsor of the contest.