Photo Contest - What Time Is It? (9/28-10/4)

In summary, the photo contest aims to highlight the concept of time through photography. To enter, participants must submit their photos during the designated time period and follow all guidelines and rules. Multiple submissions are usually allowed, but it is best to check the specific rules. Anyone with a passion for photography can participate, but there may be restrictions based on age or location. The selection process for winners varies and it is important to understand the rules before entering.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What Time Is It?

This week, the main subject of your photo must be something that tells time. A stop watch doesn't count since it only measures elapsed time. This must be something someone looks at to know the time of day without doing much "calculation".

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ever since my watch died I have been relying on my trusty microwave oven to tell me what time it is (at least when I am in the kitchen).
timer---1.jpg

Likes JBA and BillTre
from my recent trip to Canada ...
The steam powered clock in Vancouver, BC

IMG_0453sm.jpg

Likes BillTre, JBA, jtbell and 3 others
DSCN3334.JPG

Zz.

Likes epenguin, Rubidium_71, BillTre and 1 other person
I'm tempted to take a picture of my stomach, because it's telling me it's time for lunch.

• Haha
Likes cnh1995, DrClaude, davenn and 3 others
By the front door
clock1_small.jpg

Likes davenn, Borg and BillTre
clock.png

BCD display clock. Time showing: 10:06:19 (LSB at bottom)

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, DennisN and davenn
Janus said:
BCD display clock.
I had to look that one up. Do you ever get to where you can read it on sight? Without counting on your fingers? :smile:

gmax137 said:
I had to look that one up. Do you ever get to where you can read it on sight? Without counting on your fingers? :smile:
It's just a matter of memorizing recognizing the pattern.
In BCD:
0001 =1
0010= 2
0011= 3
0100= 4
0101= 5
0110= 6
0111= 7
1000 =8
1001 =9
If you work with it long enough, it becomes pretty automatic to see 0111 and think "7"
It's a little more more tricky in the other mode where the hours, min and sec are done in pure binary.
Hrs aren't bad, as you you don't use the left most column with two lights, you instead just use the second column, and add
1010 =10
1011=11
1100=12
Again easily remembered by anyone familiar with hexadecimal

However, telling at a glance that the third column showing 011 and the forth column shows 0011 equates to
0110011 = 51 min without some mental addition isn't as easy.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
I've got a big clock on my PC:
(I bought it today very cheap at a second hand store)

48835609832_1884980d90_c.jpg

Likes davenn
Lanier Sunrise Oct 3 2019.jpg

The sun breaks from the ocean as the stars
Pass on, they were but signs of One to come
Light and shadow wage celestial wars
While down below the human race lies numb.

Likes BillTre
I wonder if the city uncovers our town clock briefly twice a day.

whattime.jpg

Likes mfb, Ibix and gmax137
jtbell said:
I wonder if the city uncovers our town clock briefly twice a day.

View attachment 250653
The grim reapers personal collection. Get your capped watch now ! Stocks limited

Dr. Courtney said:
View attachment 250649
The sun breaks from the ocean as the stars
Pass on, they were but signs of One to come
Light and shadow wage celestial wars
While down below the human race lies numb.

where's the timepiece ?

davenn said:
where's the timepiece ?

The sun (and its position in the sky) is the oldest clock known to man.

Likes Bystander
Dr. Courtney said:
The sun (and its position in the sky) is the oldest clock known to man.

true but you can't tell specific time ... it fails to conform to the contest theme ...

per Zz's heading post ...

ZapperZ said:
What Time Is It?

This week, the main subject of your photo must be something that tells time. A stop watch doesn't count since it only measures elapsed time. This must be something someone looks at to know the time of day without doing much "calculation".
😉 😉 :smile:Dave

davenn said:
true but you can't tell specific time ... it fails to conform to the contest theme ...

The voters can certainly consider the accuracy of the clock in each photo. Of course, older clocks are going to be less accurate than more modern clocks. The instructions say nothing about the required accuracy of the clock or needing to be man made, but rather that it tell the time of day and not merely an elapsed time. The position of the sun in the sky satisfies the stated criteria. Inventing an accuracy criteria after a photo is submitted would be arbitrary and capricious.

Dr. Courtney said:
he instructions say nothing about the required accuracy of the clock or needing to be man made, but rather that it tell the time of day and not merely an elapsed time.

that's correct ... we are not after seconds accuracy, else NONE of the other entries would count

Dr. Courtney said:
The position of the sun in the sky satisfies the stated criteria.

no it doesn't ... it doesn't even tell you hour accuracy 😉 :wink:

Anyway ... @ZapperZ will have the final say :smile:

davenn said:
that's correct ... we are not after seconds accuracy, else NONE of the other entries would count

no it doesn't ... it doesn't even tell you hour accuracy 😉 :wink:

A new criteria added after the contest began that includes the sundial, but excludes the sun itself. Why decide on the last day of entries that the clock needs "hour accuracy" and not "minute accuracy" or "second accuracy"? Why not add a rule today that the clock needs to specify morning or evening? Most of the clocks in the photos do not do that. At least my photo distinguishes morning from evening. The voters should have the final say.

A sun dial qualifies.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
A sun dial qualifies.

Zz.
Where you see a sun dial here will remain your secret ...

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Synchronised clocks (usually called Alice, Bob and Charlie aren't they?).

DSCN5365.JPG

Last edited:
Likes davenn
ZapperZ said:
A sun dial qualifies.

Zz.

That wasn't the one in question 😉

Z
ZapperZ said:
Zz could you tell us where that is? I have a feeling I've seen this before, but so many places have St. George and his cross.

epenguin said:
Synchronised clocks (usually called Alice, Bob and Charlie aren't they?).
Their relative velocity seems to be negligible.

• Haha
Likes Ibix
epenguin said:
Z
Zz could you tell us where that is? I have a feeling I've seen this before, but so many places have St. George and his cross.

That, actually, is at the German Pavilion in Epcot. 😄 I'm sure it's a replica of a familiar location somewhere in Germany, but I don't know where exactly.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "What Time Is It?" Participants are encouraged to capture images that represent a specific time or moment in time.

2. How long is the photo contest open for submissions?

The photo contest is open for submissions from September 28th to October 4th. Any entries submitted after the deadline will not be considered.

3. Can I submit multiple entries?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit up to 3 entries for the photo contest. However, each entry must be unique and not a duplicate of another submission.

4. Is there a prize for the winner of the photo contest?

Yes, the winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500. There may also be additional prizes for runners-up or honorable mentions.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges who will review all submissions and select the photo that best represents the theme of the contest. The winner will be announced on October 10th.