Photo-electric effect, Compton Scattering

In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of electrons knocked out of a thin copper foil by Compston scattering of an incident beam of 17.5 KeV rays is 1.1 KeV. This is calculated by adding the change in wavelength to the original wavelength, calculating the energy, and then deducting the original energy.
mm2424

Homework Statement

What is the maximum kinetic energy of electrons knocked out of a thin copper foil by Compston scattering of an incident beam of 17.5 KeV rays? Assume the work function is negligible.

Homework Equations

Δλ = h/mc (1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned that the greatest energy transfer to an electron will occur when the x-ray rebounds at 180 degrees, in which case the change in wavelength is 4.85 x 10^-12 m.

I figured that the wavelength of the x-rays increases by this amount, thereby decreasing in energy. I thought I could therefore take this change in wavelength and calculate the energy associated with it using E = hc/Δλ, and I got E = 256 KeV.

However, the answer key requires that you calculate the wavelength of the original x-ray, add Δλ, then calculate the energy and deduct the original energy. It yields a different answer, 1.1 KeV.

I don't understand why you can't say that the energy loss associated with the increase in the wavelength of the x-ray is completely transferred to the electron and then be done with it. What am I missing? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody have any insight into what I'm doing wrong here? I'd appreciate any and all help :).

mm2424 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned that the greatest energy transfer to an electron will occur when the x-ray rebounds at 180 degrees, in which case the change in wavelength is 4.85 x 10^-12 m.

I figured that the wavelength of the x-rays increases by this amount, thereby decreasing in energy.
So far, so good.
I thought I could therefore take this change in wavelength and calculate the energy associated with it using E = hc/Δλ, and I got E = 256 KeV.
Not quite. First, note that it's impossible for a 17.5 keV photon to lose 256 keV of energy.

You have two energies, E1 = hc/λ1 and E2 = hc/λ2.

The energy difference E1-E2 is the difference between the hc/λ terms, not hc/Δλ. What you did is equivalent to saying
(1/5) - (1/3) = 1/(5-3) = 1/2,​
which is not true.

Can you take it from here?

However, the answer key requires that you calculate the wavelength of the original x-ray, add Δλ, then calculate the energy and deduct the original energy. It yields a different answer, 1.1 KeV.
Yes, that is the basic idea.

Thanks, that makes sense!

I understand your reasoning for calculating the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons using the change in wavelength. However, in the context of the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering, it is important to consider the energy conservation principle.

In the photoelectric effect, the energy of the incident photon is completely transferred to the electron, resulting in the electron being ejected with a kinetic energy equal to the energy of the photon minus the work function of the metal. In Compton scattering, the energy of the incident photon is partially transferred to the electron, resulting in a decrease in energy of the scattered photon.

In this case, the incident beam of 17.5 KeV rays has an energy of 17.5 KeV, which is completely transferred to the electron in the photoelectric effect. However, in Compton scattering, the scattered photon will have a lower energy due to the energy transfer to the electron. Therefore, the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons will not be 17.5 KeV, but rather a lower value.

To calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons, we must first calculate the energy of the scattered photon. This can be done by subtracting the change in energy (which is related to the change in wavelength) from the energy of the incident photon. Once we have the energy of the scattered photon, we can use the photoelectric effect equation to calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons.

In summary, while your reasoning for calculating the maximum kinetic energy using the change in wavelength is sound, it does not take into account the energy conservation principle and the fact that the incident photon in Compton scattering will have a lower energy due to the energy transfer to the electron.

Related to Photo-electric effect, Compton Scattering

What is the photo-electric effect?

The photo-electric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first discovered by Albert Einstein in 1905 and contributed to the development of quantum mechanics.

What is the Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is a process where a photon interacts with a free electron, transferring some of its energy and changing its direction. This can be observed in X-ray and gamma ray interactions with matter and is used in medical imaging and other applications.

How are the photo-electric effect and Compton Scattering related?

Both the photo-electric effect and Compton Scattering involve the interaction of photons with matter. In the photo-electric effect, the photon knocks an electron out of its orbit around an atom, while in Compton Scattering, the photon changes direction and transfers some of its energy to an electron.

What is the significance of the photo-electric effect and Compton Scattering?

The photo-electric effect and Compton Scattering are both important phenomena in understanding the behavior of light and matter at the atomic level. They have also been used in various practical applications, such as in electronic devices and medical imaging.

What are some real-world examples of the photo-electric effect and Compton Scattering?

The photo-electric effect is responsible for the functioning of solar panels, where light energy is converted into electrical energy. Compton Scattering is used in X-ray and CT scans to create images of the inside of the human body. It is also used in radiation therapy for cancer treatment.