Photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2

• Thread starter pirupiru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary: The radical would then react with the aniline to give the product.Hi TeethWithener,If you're looking for a more general overview of photocatalysis, I recommend this website:In summary, this forum looks amazing ! I'm trying to get my head around photocatalytic oxidation but I don't have a strong background in chemistry. I was specifically looking into the decomposition of phenyl isothiocyanate and trinitrotoluene using photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 and I was trying to write down the reactions to arrive to the final product. Anyone can give me any help with even a minimum explanation for the reactions?Thank you very much !
pirupiru
Hi all,

This forum looks amazing ! I'm trying to get my head around photocatalytic oxidation but I don't have a strong background in chemistry. I was specifically looking into the decomposition of phenyl isothiocyanate and trinitrotoluene using photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 (assuming complete mineralization) and I was trying to write down the reactions to arrive to the final product. Anyone can give me any help with even a minimum explanation for the reactions?

Thank you very much !

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is quite specific. Are you going off papers in the literature?

In general, TiO2 as a photocatalyst operates via the following mechanism:
1) A photon excites an electron from the TiO2 valence band into the conduction band, leaving behind a hole in the valence band.
2) The hole, which is a very strong oxidizing agent, pulls an electron from a substrate (either a solvent like water or directly from a reagent).
3) In the case of water, this results in the formation of hydroxyl radicals, themselves powerful oxidants, which can further react with other reagents in solution. In the case of direct reaction between the hole and the reagent, it's reaction specific.

I don't know about the specific TiO2-photocatalyzed degradation of the two compounds in question, but generally speaking, toluenes (including TNT) are most easily oxidized at their methyl group. Uncontrolled, this would yield a substituted benzoic acid. Isothiocyanates can be oxidized to isocyanates given a strong enough oxidizer. I don't know if either of these are specifically what happens in the case of your question, but maybe it'll get you started.

Hi TeethWithener,

I'm just reading a lot and sometimes, to try understand better how everything works, I try to solve some exercise and example I find around literature. Your answer is really valuable and helpful, following your guidelines is this something that might look good?

tempImageYPbYtS.jpg

The first equation doesn’t make much sense. The diradical product has the same number of electrons as the starting reagent, so the titanium dioxide hasn’t actually done anything. The other two reagents are a little less far-fetched. In this case, the photogenerated hole from the TiO2 would react with the water (or more likely a hydroxide) to give the hydroxyl radical.

1. What is photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2?

Photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 is a process that uses titanium dioxide (TiO2) as a catalyst to promote the oxidation of organic compounds in the presence of light. This reaction produces highly reactive oxygen species that can break down and remove pollutants from the environment.

2. How does photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 work?

When TiO2 is exposed to light, it absorbs photons and creates electron-hole pairs. These electrons and holes then react with water and oxygen in the air to form highly reactive oxygen species, such as hydroxyl radicals, which can oxidize organic compounds. This process continues until all the pollutants are broken down into harmless byproducts.

3. What are the benefits of photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2?

Photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 is a sustainable and environmentally friendly method for removing pollutants. It does not require any additional chemicals and can be powered by natural sunlight. It is also highly efficient and can remove a wide range of organic compounds.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2?

One limitation of photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 is that it is most effective on organic compounds that can be easily oxidized. It may not be as effective on more complex or persistent pollutants. Additionally, the process can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of other substances in the environment.

5. What are some real-world applications of photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2?

Photocatalytic oxidation over TiO2 has been used in various applications, such as air and water purification, self-cleaning surfaces, and antibacterial coatings. It has also been studied as a potential method for converting carbon dioxide into useful products, such as fuels or chemicals.