Photodiode and negative resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why a photo diode, when shined with light, does not exhibit negative resistance. One possible explanation is that it is in photo conductive orientation, which increases Dark Current and eliminates the negative resistance effects. However, there is some confusion over the definition of negative resistance and how it relates to voltage and power in photodiodes. Some suggest that quantum tunneling or the photoelectric effect may play a role in negative resistance, but there is still uncertainty about the mechanism involved. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of understanding negative resistance in photodiodes and suggests further research and clarification may be needed.
ndnbolla
Our professor has asked us why would a photo diode when shined with light, produce no negative resistance.

So far, the only thing I can come up with is because it is in photo conductive orientation (as opposed to photo voltaic) increasing Dark Current thereby eliminating the negative resistance effects.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
ndnbolla said:
Our professor has asked us why would a photo diode when shined with light, produce no negative resistance.

So far, the only thing I can come up with is because it is in photo conductive orientation (as opposed to photo voltaic) increasing Dark Current thereby eliminating the negative resistance effects.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Can you clarify what is meant by negative resistance in this context?

From my notes and his lecture, negative resistance = power

ndnbolla said:
From my notes and his lecture, negative resistance = power

No, negative resistance is not power. For one thing, they have different units, so they could not be equal.

Ohms and Watts are not equal units.

Shining light into a depleted region decreases its potential creating voltage

Current >>> Electron Hole Pairs

Indeed they are not equal, there is or are step(s) missing.

ndnbolla said:
Shining light into a depleted region decreases its potential creating voltage

Current >>> Electron Hole Pairs

Indeed they are not equal, there is or are step(s) missing.

This wikipedia page on Negative Resistance may be of help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_resistance

I would ignore the animation at the top right corner of the page -- I have no idea what it is trying to illustrate. The rest of the article seems good, though.

If the voltage in Figure 2 (from wiki link) became reversed biased, would that make the slope positive meaning "positive resistance"?

ndnbolla said:
If the voltage in Figure 2 (from wiki link) became reversed biased, would that make the slope positive meaning "positive resistance"?

I certainly don't see any negative slopes in the V-I graph of photodiodes, either in Photovoltaic Mode or in Photoconducting Mode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode

now even more confused, let me think a bit

An interesting problem. I can only think that if a photo-diode exhibits a negative resistance it would have be due possibly to quantum tunneling caused by photon excitement of the PN junction, that would cause decreased current drop across the junction at higher voltages when exhibiting negative resistance. The photo electric effect could cause negative resistance but I am not sure of the mechanism involved.

Eimacman said:
An interesting problem. I can only think that if a photo-diode exhibits a negative resistance it would have be due possibly to quantum tunneling caused by photon excitement of the PN junction, that would cause decreased current drop across the junction at higher voltages when exhibiting negative resistance. The photo electric effect could cause negative resistance but I am not sure of the mechanism involved.

What's a "decreased current drop across the junction"?

ndnbolla said:
now even more confused, let me think a bit

When the lines go up and to the right on the V-I diagram, that is positive resistance.

Greetings berkeman:

Being that this conversation is about photo diodes, the junction of a semiconductor device determines the characteristics of such a device just as the amounts of 'dopant' and elements used to make the conducting P or N substrates. In a liner device if forward voltage is increased current drop will remain constant, positive junction resistance. If the junction is thick, maybe over a couple of thousand angstroms or more, maybe a couple of hundred atoms thick and capable of quantum tunneling, the junction when it reaches avalanche voltage will exhibit negative resistance in that the current drop across junction will decrease weather this is caused by quantum tunneling or the photo voltaic effect. It is the junction of the device that makes it a semiconductor. Even if that junction is formed by a crude quartz crystal being jabbed by an iron whisker.

As for the V-I diagram the voltage applied is measured by a volt meter at the source, neglecting resistance of the wires, and the current, junction current drop, is measured across the device by an ampere meter, there would be a resistive load in series with the device to prevent destruction of the device, the resistance of which and the voltage drop would be determined in advance mathematically.

I hope that this clears this up in that I had to make this post quickly.

Eimacman.

1. What is a photodiode and how does it work?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light energy into electrical energy. It works by utilizing the photoelectric effect, where photons of light create an electron-hole pair within the device, generating a flow of current.

2. What is the purpose of negative resistance in a photodiode?

Negative resistance is used in photodiodes to improve their sensitivity and response time. It helps to reduce the amount of noise and interference in the electrical signal generated by the photodiode, resulting in a more accurate and reliable output.

3. How is negative resistance achieved in a photodiode?

Negative resistance is achieved in a photodiode by applying a reverse voltage across the device. This causes the current to decrease as the voltage increases, creating a negative slope in the current-voltage curve.

4. What are some common applications of photodiodes with negative resistance?

Photodiodes with negative resistance are commonly used in optical communication systems, such as fiber optic networks, to convert light signals into electrical signals. They are also used in light detection and ranging (LiDAR) systems, laser range finders, and other applications that require high sensitivity and fast response times.

5. How do photodiodes with negative resistance differ from regular photodiodes?

Photodiodes with negative resistance have an additional layer or structure, such as a PNPN structure, that allows for the negative resistance effect. They also tend to have a higher sensitivity and faster response time compared to regular photodiodes.