Photon Propagator: Exploring Mass in Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. The Proca equation for a mass 0 particle is used, along with the Lorentz condition, to obtain the propagator which is -i*g_{mu,nu}/p^2. While the photon is off-shell, it is still considered to be massless, despite having a non-zero four momentum. The confusion lies in how an equation for a massless particle can lead to a particle with mass.
Silviu
Hello! I have a question about the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. I am looking over a brief derivation (probably there are some details missing), so basically it starts from Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, then it assumes Lorentz condition and in the end it obtains: ##(-p^2g_{\mu\nu})A^\nu=0##, from which the propagator is ##-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{p^2}##. I understand the math, but I am a bit confused about the physics. So it starts with the Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, but the photon that is the propagator is off-shell (hence why p is different from 0) so it has mass. So how can you start from an equation for a massless particle and obtain a particle with mass?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I have a question about the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. I am looking over a brief derivation (probably there are some details missing), so basically it starts from Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, then it assumes Lorentz condition and in the end it obtains: ##(-p^2g_{\mu\nu})A^\nu=0##, from which the propagator is ##-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{p^2}##. I understand the math, but I am a bit confused about the physics. So it starts with the Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, but the photon that is the propagator is off-shell (hence why p is different from 0) so it has mass. So how can you start from an equation for a massless particle and obtain a particle with mass?
Thank you!
Off-shell means that the four momentum does *not* obey [itex] P^2 =m^2 [/itex] so the fact that [itex] P^2 \neq 0[/itex] does not mean that it is massive, it is still massless.

Related to Photon Propagator: Exploring Mass in Feynman Diagrams

1. What is a photon propagator in the context of Feynman diagrams?

A photon propagator is a line in a Feynman diagram that represents the propagation of a photon, which is a fundamental particle of light. It describes the interactions between particles and how they exchange energy and momentum through the emission and absorption of photons.

2. How does the photon propagator contribute to our understanding of mass in Feynman diagrams?

The photon propagator plays a crucial role in determining the mass of particles in Feynman diagrams. It is responsible for calculating the mass of the interacting particles by considering the energy and momentum of the photon exchanged between them.

3. Can you explain the mathematical formula for the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams?

The mathematical formula for the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams is a complex integration that takes into account the energy and momentum of the interacting particles, as well as the coupling constant of the electromagnetic force. It is represented by a mathematical expression involving the photon's energy and momentum, which are represented by the variables k and q, respectively.

4. How does the concept of virtual particles relate to the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams?

The photon propagator is closely related to the concept of virtual particles in Feynman diagrams. In quantum field theory, virtual particles are particles that do not exist in reality but are exchanged between interacting particles to explain the forces between them. The photon propagator represents the virtual photons exchanged between particles, which contribute to the calculation of mass in Feynman diagrams.

5. What are the applications of studying the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams?

Studying the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams has many applications in particle physics. It helps in understanding the fundamental forces of nature and how particles interact with each other. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and explaining the behavior of subatomic particles, such as those found in particle accelerators. Additionally, the photon propagator is essential in developing and testing theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions.