Photon propagator in Coulomb gauge

In summary: Since we are dealing with the photon, which is an abelian gauge field, there is no adjoint index and therefore no delta function.In summary, the conversation discusses the aim of deriving the photon propagator in a Coulomb gauge using Pokorski's book method. The photon propagator in Lorenz gauge is obtained, and it is proven that the transverse field is given by ##A^{\mu}_T=(g^{\mu\nu}-\frac{\partial^{\mu}\partial{\nu}}{\partial^2})A^{\mu}##. In Coulomb gauge, the first component of the field is removed, but the elegance of the method lies in the covariant treatment. To obtain the desired expression
lalo_u
Gold Member
My aim is to derive the photon propagator in an Coulomb gauge following Pokorski's book method.
In this book the photon propagator in Lorenz gauge was obtained as follows:
  1. Lorenz gauge: ##\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu}=0##
  2. It's proved that ##\delta_{\mu}A^{\mu}_T=0##, where ##A^{\mu}_T=(g^{\mu\nu}-\frac{\partial^{\mu}\partial{\nu}}{\partial^2})A^{\mu}## is the transverse field.
  3. Then, ##\partial^2A^T_{\mu}=0\rightarrow (\partial^2-i\epsilon)D_{\mu\nu}(x-y)=-(g_{\mu\nu}-\frac{\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}}{\partial^2})\delta(x-y)##, is the equation for the corresponding the Green's function in the transverse space.
  4. After a Fourien transformations this becomes ##(-k^2-i\epsilon)\tilde{D}_{\mu\nu}(k)=-(g_{\mu\nu}-\frac{k_{\mu}k_{\nu}}{k^2})##.
Now, in Coulomb gauge,
  1. Coulomb gauge: ##\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu}-(n_{\mu}\partial^{\mu})(n_{\mu}A^{\mu})=0, \; n_{\mu}(1,0,0,0)##
  2. I've tried to do the same program as before but I'm stuck. It's supose the propagator we have to obtain is:
$$\tilde{D}^{\alpha\beta}_{\mu\nu}=\frac{\delta^{\alpha\beta}}{k^2+i\epsilon}\left[g_{\mu\nu}-\frac{k\cdot n(k_{\mu}n_{\nu}+k_{\nu}n_{\mu})-k_{\nu}k_{\mu}}{(k\cdot n)^2-k^2}\right]$$.

The reference,
Gauge Field Theories, 2000. Stefan Pokorski. Pages: 129-132.

I'll appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, it is Lorenz. Then why do you need to use the method in this book?

If you read it again, the first component of de field has been removed, so it's Coulomb.

I'm trying to do this method, because seemed ellegant to me: it's done covariantly, even though we are dealing with Coulomb. :smile:

Last edited:
lalo_u said:
If you read it again, the first component of de field has been removed, so it's Coulomb.

I'm trying to do solve it in this method, because the elegance in put the terms in a covariance form despite of we're treating with Coulomb [emoji4]

lalo_u said:
In this book the photon propagator in Lorentz gauge

dextercioby said:
First, it is Lorenz.

@dextercioby 's point is that you have the named the gauge after the wrong person, i.e., "Lorenz gauge" (condition) is correct, and "Lorentz gauge" (condition) is incorrect.

Likes lalo_u
The role of ##k^\mu## in Lorenz gauge is played by ##k^\mu-(n\cdot k)n^\mu## in Coulomb gauge; make this replacement in ##g^{\mu\nu}-k^\mu k^\nu/k^2##, including in the ##k^2## factor in the denominator. This will give you almost the desired expression, but you will have an extra term with ##n^\mu n^\nu##. This is canceled by including the explicit charge-charge Coulomb interaction in Coulomb gauge.

Avodyne said:
The role of ##k^\mu## in Lorenz gauge is played by ##k^\mu-(n\cdot k)n^\mu## in Coulomb gauge; make this replacement in ##g^{\mu\nu}-k^\mu k^\nu/k^2##, including in the ##k^2## factor in the denominator. This will give you almost the desired expression, but you will have an extra term with ##n^\mu n^\nu##. This is canceled by including the explicit charge-charge Coulomb interaction in Coulomb gauge.
Thank you Avodyne, but there are two more things, a) we are calculating the photon free propagator, is it correct considering any interaction?, b) what about the extra ##\delta_{\alpha\beta}## at the beginning of the expression?

Last edited:
To compute the propagator in the interacting theory (order by order in perturbation theory), we must compute the corrections from Feynman diagrams with loops. The free propagator is the starting point.

The Kronecker delta presumably refers to the adjoint index of a non-abelian gauge field.

Likes lalo_u

1. What is a photon propagator in Coulomb gauge?

A photon propagator in Coulomb gauge is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude for a photon to propagate from one point to another in a Coulomb gauge field. It takes into account the Coulomb gauge condition, which is a particular choice of gauge in quantum field theory.

2. How is the photon propagator calculated in Coulomb gauge?

The photon propagator in Coulomb gauge is calculated using Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory in quantum field theory. It involves summing over all possible paths that a photon can take between two points, taking into account the Coulomb gauge condition and the interactions with other particles.

3. What is the significance of the Coulomb gauge in the photon propagator?

The Coulomb gauge is a particularly useful gauge choice for calculating the photon propagator because it simplifies the equations and eliminates unphysical degrees of freedom. It also has a direct physical interpretation in terms of the electrostatic potential, making it a useful tool for calculations in quantum electrodynamics.

4. How does the photon propagator in Coulomb gauge differ from other gauge choices?

The photon propagator in Coulomb gauge differs from other gauge choices, such as Feynman gauge or Lorenz gauge, in the mathematical form of the equations used to calculate it. These differences can lead to different physical interpretations and predictions in certain situations, making the choice of gauge an important consideration in quantum field theory calculations.

5. What are some applications of the photon propagator in Coulomb gauge?

The photon propagator in Coulomb gauge has many applications in quantum electrodynamics, including calculations of scattering amplitudes and cross sections in particle physics experiments. It is also used in theoretical studies of quantum field theory, such as in the calculation of radiative corrections and the renormalization of physical constants.