Photon Spin and Polarization filters

In summary, Photons have spin 1, but their spin-like degrees of freedom are better described as helicity states, which can be either left or right circularly polarized. The concept of spin is not directly applicable to photons due to their massless nature, and their little group is different from that of massive particles.
PavanKumar
I understand how polarization can be explained using EM waves. However, I am unable to understand how to explain how polarization filters work when we use the concept of photon spins. Can someone help me with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a really good video over at 3Blue1Brown that explains the quantum mechanics of photons passing through polarization filters:

They don't mention it, but when light is circularly polarized, each photon has a spin angular momentum of ##+\hbar## or ##-\hbar##, depending on whether the light is left or right circularly polarized.

Last edited:
Be careful! A photon has no spin in the usual sense. Massless quanta have to be treated separately from massive ones. That's why in standard QFT massless particles have only 0 (for scalar and pseudo scalar fields) or 2 (for fields with spin ##\geq 1/2##) spin-like degrees of freedom (which most intuitively can be chosen in terms of the single-free-particle momentum-helicity basis ##|\vec{p},h \rangle## with ##h=\pm s## and ##\vec{p}## with the dispersion relation ##p \cdot p=0##, i.e., ##E=|\vec{p}|##).

For a first qualitative explanation of polaroids (absorptive polarization filters), see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

Likes Geofleur
Does that mean, instead of saying that the photon has spin 1, we should instead say that it has helicity 1? I didn't realize that the representations of the Poincare group for massless particles cannot be labeled by spin!

Geofleur said:
Does that mean, instead of saying that the photon has spin 1, we should instead say that it has helicity 1? I didn't realize that the representations of the Poincare group for massless particles cannot be labeled by spin!

This is because the little group of a massive particle, SU(2), is different than the little group of a photon, E(2).

Likes vanhees71, Orodruin, weirdoguy and 1 other person
Geofleur said:
The usual terminology is to say that the photon has spin 1 (in the sense of ##\vec{J}^2## has the lowest eigenvalue ##1 \cdot (1+1)=2##). Since the photon is massless this implies that there are two spin-degrees in freedom. A natural choice for a single-photon basis is to take momentum eigenvectors and eigenvectors of the angular momentum component in direction of the photon's mopmentum, i.e., the helicity, and this helicity ##h \in \{-1,1\}##.

1. What is a photon spin?

A photon spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a photon, which is a type of elementary particle that makes up light. It is a fundamental property of photons and is always either +1 or -1, indicating the direction of its spin.

2. What is polarization in relation to photons?

Polarization is a property of light that describes the direction of the electric field oscillations of a photon. It can be either linear, circular, or elliptical, depending on the orientation of the electric field relative to the direction of propagation.

3. How do polarization filters work?

Polarization filters, also known as polarizers, work by selectively blocking certain orientations of polarized light. They consist of a material with aligned molecules that act as a barrier to light waves with certain polarizations, allowing only those with the desired polarization to pass through.

4. What is the purpose of using polarization filters?

Polarization filters are commonly used in various applications, such as photography, 3D glasses, and LCD screens. They can help to reduce glare and improve contrast, as well as manipulate the polarization of light for specific purposes, such as in optical communications.

5. Can photon spin and polarization be changed or manipulated?

Yes, photon spin and polarization can be changed or manipulated through various methods, such as passing light through polarizing filters, using certain materials that can change the polarization of light, or applying external forces to alter the spin of photons. These techniques are important in many fields, including quantum computing and telecommunications.