Photonics vs Physics vs Mathematics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which PhD program would best prepare them for their research interests in energy advancement, specifically in areas such as anti-matter annihilation, fusion, and photonic laser thrusters. They are currently a mathematics undergraduate with two semesters left and are considering PhD programs in photonics, physics, and mathematics. They are unsure which would be the most suitable for their area of interest and are also seeking clarification on which specific areas of physics or math would be the best fit for their research. They are open to suggestions and would like to know which program would benefit them the most in the research energy industry.
Gart11
Hello, I was wondering if perhaps someone could provide some insight as to the PhD program that would prepare me the best for what I would like to do research in one day. I am currently a mathematics undergrad with 2 semesters left. I am torn between getting a PhD in photonics, physics, and mathematics. I am just not sure which would be the best fit for my area of interest. The area I am interested in doing research is energy advancement i.e. anti-matter annihilation, fusion, photonic laser thrusters etc. Also, if one were to suggest say physics as the most appropriate for these areas of research, is there a particular area of physics that would be best? Mathematical physics? Particle physics? Theoretical physics? etc. Same with math, if one were to suggest math as an appropriate fit what would be better, applied or pure? Thank you for any and all honest feedback, I'm sure a lot of questions come through here like this, but I just can't seem to pick out which would benefit me the most in a research energy industry. Ideally I would like to go to graduate school in an area of mathematics, including mathematical physics, applied or pure math, and if one of these will get me into the above areas of research please let me know and which one, however, if an area of physics would be a better fit I would be more than willing to make the switch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Need admin to move this to academic guidance please.

Related to Photonics vs Physics vs Mathematics

1. What is the difference between photonics, physics, and mathematics?

Photonics, physics, and mathematics are all different fields of study within the broader category of science. Photonics is the study of the properties and applications of light, while physics is the study of matter and energy in the universe. Mathematics, on the other hand, is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, and their relationships and operations.

2. Are there any overlaps between photonics, physics, and mathematics?

Yes, there are overlaps between these fields. Photonics relies heavily on the principles and laws of physics, particularly optics, and also utilizes mathematical models and equations to understand and design light-based technologies. Similarly, physics often uses mathematical models and calculations to explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy. Mathematics, on the other hand, is a fundamental tool for both photonics and physics, providing the necessary mathematical framework for understanding and solving complex problems.

3. Which field is the most important for technological advancements?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as all three fields are crucial for technological advancements. However, photonics is often considered to have the most direct impact on technology, as it is the basis for many modern technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells. Physics also plays a significant role in technological advancements, providing the scientific principles and understanding that lead to new technologies. Mathematics, while not as directly tied to technology, is essential for developing and improving upon mathematical and computational models that underpin many technological advancements.

4. Can one pursue a career in all three fields simultaneously?

While it is possible to have a broad understanding and knowledge of all three fields, it is not practical to pursue a career in all of them simultaneously. Each field requires specialized knowledge and skills, and it is more common for individuals to specialize in one or two of these fields. However, there are interdisciplinary fields and research areas that combine aspects of photonics, physics, and mathematics, allowing for collaboration and integration of these fields.

5. How do these fields contribute to our understanding of the universe?

All three fields play significant roles in advancing our understanding of the universe. Photonics allows us to observe and study the universe through telescopes and other light-based technologies. Physics provides the theories and laws that explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, from the subatomic level to the vast expanse of the cosmos. Mathematics provides the language and tools for modeling and understanding complex physical phenomena and is often used to test and validate theories in physics. Together, they help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it.