Photons per second hitting an aperture

In summary, the aperture is 3m away from a light bulb with an area of .09m^2. The light bulb is 100 Watts and 2.5% of the energy is converted to visible light, with an average wavelength of 520 nm. Each photon has an energy of 2.386 eV. Converting this to Joules and using the intensity of 2.5 Joules/Second, the number of photons per second hitting the aperture is 6.5397 * 10^18. Multiplying this by the percentage of photons that will hit the aperture, which is 7.9577*10^-4, the final result is 5.204*10^15 photons/
SammC

Homework Statement

>An aperture is 3m away from a light bulb, with an area of .09m^2.
>The light bulb is 100 Watts, and 2.5% of the energy is converted to visible light
> From the previous part: The average wavelength of the light is 520 nm, meaning that each photon has an energy of 2.386 eV (this answer is correct in the system)

How many photons per second will hit the aperture.

[The hint for this is "Remember to convert eV to Joules, because the intensity is given in W/m^2"
I'm not using intensity in my answer, nor am i sure how to, but the answer I'm getting seems to make sense anyway.]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, i convert 2.386 eV to Joules, getting 3.82279*10^-19 Joules/Photon.
Now, given that its a 100 Watt bulb, converting 2.5% to light, i assume that means that it emits 2.5 Joules/Second of light.

So, 2.5 (J/S) / 3.82279*10^-19 (J/P) will give an answer in Photons/Second, which is
6.5397 * 10^18 Photons/Second. Emitted from the bulb (I assume spherically)

So, then I find what percentage of those photons will hit the aperture by dividing Aperture area by the surface area of a 3m radius sphere: .09m^2 / (4*pi*3^2) = 7.9577*10^-4 m^2/m^2

Multiplying that percentage by the number of photons per second: 5.204*10^15 photons/second, which is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I haven't read the numerical details of your calculation, but the way you describe it sounds correct.

OK, I just did the calculation, and I agree with your result except for the last decimal place. Are you entering this into one of those online homework systems that is picky about sig figs? If so, post the numbers EXACTLY how they are given, and I will check for sig figs.

Last edited:

After reviewing your approach, I can see that you have correctly converted the energy of each photon to Joules and have accounted for the percentage of energy converted to light from the 100 Watt bulb. However, it seems that you have made a mistake in your calculation of the percentage of photons hitting the aperture. Instead of dividing the aperture area by the surface area of a 3m radius sphere, you should divide it by the surface area of a 3m radius circle (since the aperture is a flat surface, not a sphere). This would give you a percentage of 2.6534*10^-5 m^2/m^2. Multiplying this by the number of photons per second emitted from the bulb (6.5397 * 10^18 photons/second) would give you a final answer of approximately 1.734*10^14 photons/second hitting the aperture. This seems like a more reasonable and accurate answer. Additionally, I would recommend using the equation for intensity (I = P/A, where P is power and A is area) to check your answer. I hope this helps!

Related to Photons per second hitting an aperture

1. What is the definition of "photons per second hitting an aperture"?

Photons per second hitting an aperture refers to the rate at which photons, or particles of light, pass through a specific opening or aperture in a given period of time. This measurement is commonly used in optics and photonics to describe the intensity of light passing through a certain area.

2. How is the number of photons per second hitting an aperture calculated?

The number of photons per second hitting an aperture is calculated by dividing the total number of photons passing through the aperture by the time it takes for them to pass through. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a photodetector or by using mathematical equations based on the properties of the aperture and the light source.

3. What factors can affect the number of photons per second hitting an aperture?

The number of photons per second hitting an aperture can be affected by various factors, such as the distance between the light source and the aperture, the size and shape of the aperture, and the properties of the light itself (such as wavelength and intensity). Additionally, the presence of any obstructions or filters in the path of the light can also impact the number of photons reaching the aperture.

4. How is the measurement of photons per second hitting an aperture used in scientific research?

The measurement of photons per second hitting an aperture is used in various scientific research fields, including optics, photonics, and astronomy. It can help scientists understand the properties of light and its behavior, as well as provide valuable data for experiments involving light-based technologies such as lasers and optical fibers.

5. Can the measurement of photons per second hitting an aperture be used to determine the energy of light?

No, the measurement of photons per second hitting an aperture alone cannot be used to determine the energy of light. In order to calculate the energy of light, additional information such as the frequency or wavelength of the light must be known. However, the measurement of photons per second can indirectly provide information about the intensity or brightness of the light source, which is related to its energy output.