Why Aren't Leaves Sweet Despite Containing Sugar from Photosynthesis?

In summary, the Calvin cycle produces three-carbon sugar phosphate molecules, which are then used for RuBP regeneration. Leaves that don't produce sugar (or other starchy plants) add other molecules to make them unpalatable to animals.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
So I was thinking, in the process of photosynthesis

##CO_{2} + 6H_{2}O \xrightarrow{light} C_{6}H_{12}O_{6} + 6O_{2}##

Where is the glucose being deposited in the leaf tissue? Also, why aren't leaves sweet if I were to eat them, considering they are making sugar!

Biology news on Phys.org
The glucose gets burned as energy to help the plant grow.
Excess glucose is stored int he leaves and other parts of the plant as starch: think where potatoes get all that starchy goodness from?
Glucose is transported around the plant in sap - think: Maple syrup.
Some leaves do taste sweet. But generally plants don't want animals eating their leaves and sap and so on, so they add other stuff to them to make them taste bad and maybe make them poisonous.

Likes Heisenburgundy Gold and gfd43tg
Maylis said:
So I was thinking, in the process of photosynthesis

##CO_{2} + 6H_{2}O \xrightarrow{light} C_{6}H_{12}O_{6} + 6O_{2}##

Where is the glucose being deposited in the leaf tissue?

Intriguing question.

First I note that the anabolic carbon from photosynthesis isn't all destined to become C6 sugars. It starts out as phosphated C3 sugars:

The Calvin cycle, Calvin–Benson–Bassham (CBB) cycle, reductive pentose phosphate cycle or C3 cycle is a series of biochemical redox reactions that take place in the stroma of chloroplasts in photosynthetic organisms. It is also known as the light-independent reactions.

Hexose (six-carbon) sugars are not a product of the Calvin cycle. Although many texts list a product of photosynthesis as C6H12O6, this is mainly a convenience to counter the equation of respiration, where six-carbon sugars are oxidized in mitochondria. The carbohydrate products of the Calvin cycle are three-carbon sugar phosphate molecules, or "triose phosphates," namely, glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate (G3P).

Then there is the RuBP regeneration:

Thus, of six G3P produced, five are used to make three RuBP (5C) molecules (totaling 15 carbons), with only one G3P available for subsequent conversion to hexose.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-independent_reactions#Calvin_Cycle]

I don't know how sweet C3 sugars are, and if cells would chose to export them. Obviously the mitochondria expects hexoses rather than trioses, so the internal cellular use would rely on C6 production.

I think Simon's response covers the rest of this.

Likes gfd43tg

What is photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert sunlight into chemical energy. This energy is then used to fuel the growth and development of these organisms.

What are the main components of photosynthesis?

The main components of photosynthesis are sunlight, carbon dioxide, and water. These are used by plants to produce glucose and oxygen through a series of chemical reactions.

What is the role of leaves in photosynthesis?

Leaves are the primary site of photosynthesis in plants. They contain specialized cells called chloroplasts, which are responsible for converting sunlight into energy. Leaves also have small openings called stomata, which allow for the exchange of gases needed for photosynthesis.

How does photosynthesis impact the environment?

Photosynthesis is crucial for maintaining a balanced ecosystem. It removes carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and produces oxygen, which is essential for animal life. Additionally, the production of glucose by plants is the basis for most food chains on Earth.

What factors can affect the rate of photosynthesis?

The rate of photosynthesis can be affected by factors such as the intensity of sunlight, the availability of water, and the concentration of carbon dioxide. Temperature and the presence of certain pollutants can also impact the efficiency of photosynthesis.