Phrasing mathematical statements

In summary: F(x, x's mom).In summary, the conversation discusses a project on Logic and the author's attempts to write sentences in mathematical/logical syntax. They share six sentences, each with a different logical structure and explain their thought process behind each one. They also ask for feedback on the accuracy and grammar of the sentences. There is a discussion about the difference between "Frege" and "Gottlob" and the correct placement of quantifiers in the sentences. Finally, there is a clarification on the concept of "all love their mom" and a suggestion to use "x's mom" instead of a set of moms.
hbails
I'm working on a project on Logic and as part of it I want to write a selection of sentences in mathematical/logical syntax. I've consulted a mathemagician for the the first sentence but need confirmation on the other five, would someone be able to tell me if my maths lingo is correct?

What I have so far:

1. For Frege, there should be nothing that could not be described in logical terms.
(∄ x): ∄ DL(x)

For example…

2. Everybody loves Frege
(∀ x) F(x, Gottlob)

3. Everybody loves somebody
(∀ x) (Ǝ y) F(x,y)

4. There is somebody whom everybody loves
(Ǝ y) (∀ x) F(x,y)

5. There is somebody whom no one loves
(Ǝ y) (∀ x) ¬F(x,y)

6. And there is somebody whom Frege does not love
(Ǝ x) ¬F(Gottlob,x)

With 4 and 5 I’m not sure about the order of Ǝ and ∀ – the way it is now implies that the “somebody” is the same for each person. We're going to illustrate this with an animation in which we’ll have a group of people all loving their mums. Now that’s fine for the concept “their mum”, but the sentence implies that there is a single somebody and we don’t all have the same mum.

Also, I’d be tempted to put in colons after the Ǝ signs, if only for grammatical reasons. Any comments much appreciated!

Thanks,
Hari

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use our homework section for homework-like problems (even if they are not homework), I moved your thread.

the way it is now implies that the “somebody” is the same for each person.
No, that existing somebody is loved by all persons // is [not loved] by all persons.

We're going to illustrate this with an animation in which we’ll have a group of people all loving their mums.
That is a completely different problem.

but the sentence implies that there is a single somebody
That's exactly what you have to (and did) express.

The formulas are right if F(x,y) means "x loves y", I just don't understand the difference between "Frege" and "Gottlob".

In (1), I would expect a "not" symbol instead of the second "does not exist".

Sorry for posting in the wrong section and thank you for your comments!

I should've clarified my function, yes F(x,y) means "x loves y" and Gottlob Frege is one and the same person, I should also use the same name in the sentence and the expression.

mfb said:
That is a completely different problem.

If I wanted to write "there is somebody whom everybody loves" and that somebody is different for each x then is it essentially the same statement as 3: "everybody loves somebody" and so there's no progression in thought?

I'll have to adjust the animation...

In (1), I would expect a "not" symbol instead of the second "does not exist".

So instead of "there does not exist an x for which there does not exist a logical description of x" it's "there does not exist x for which a description of x is not logical".

If I wanted to write "there is somebody whom everybody loves" and that somebody is different for each x then is it essentially the same statement as 3: "everybody loves somebody" and so there's no progression in thought?
There are multiple statements that look similar, but are not:

Everybody loves someone = Everbody loves at least one other person, this does not have to be the same for all = There is no person that loves nobody
There is somebody whom everybody loves = There is at least one single person that is loved by all
All love their mom = For every person, there is a specific other person they love. (In general, the moms of different persons will be different.)

So instead of "there does not exist an x for which there does not exist a logical description of x" it's "there does not exist x for which a description of x is not logical".
I interpreted DL(x) as "describable in logic terms".

All love their mom = For every person, there is a specific other person they love. (In general, the moms of different persons will be different.)

Could I make the y in number 4. x-dependent?

There is somebody whom everybody loves, where yx∈{x's mum}

(Ǝ yx) (∀ x) F(x,yx)

hbails said:
Could I make the y in number 4. x-dependent?
Then you get (3).

There is somebody whom everybody loves, where yx∈{x's mum}

(Ǝ yx) (∀ x) F(x,yx)
The index x of y is meaningless before you introduce x. Swap the order of those, and it is fine.

A set of moms looks strange. I would write yx = x's mum. Then you can just write (∀ x) F(x,yx)

Related to Phrasing mathematical statements

1. What is the purpose of phrasing mathematical statements?

Phrasing mathematical statements is important because it allows for clear and precise communication of mathematical ideas and concepts. It helps to eliminate ambiguity and ensures that the intended meaning is accurately conveyed.

2. How do you phrase mathematical statements correctly?

To phrase mathematical statements correctly, it is important to use precise and unambiguous language, define all variables and symbols being used, and use proper mathematical notation and symbols.

3. Can the same mathematical statement be phrased in different ways?

Yes, the same mathematical statement can be phrased in different ways as long as the meaning remains the same. However, it is important to choose the most concise and clear phrasing to avoid confusion.

4. What is the difference between a mathematical statement and an equation?

A mathematical statement is a general statement that may or may not have a solution, whereas an equation is a mathematical statement that is set equal to another value or expression and has a specific solution.

5. Is it necessary to use formal language when phrasing mathematical statements?

Yes, it is important to use formal language when phrasing mathematical statements as it helps to reduce ambiguity and ensures that the meaning is accurately conveyed. It also allows for easier communication among mathematicians and scientists.