Multivariable integral with unclear bounds

In summary: I skipped the substitution part)##= \frac{1}{15}##In summary, the problem is to calculate the integral of ##f(x,y) = xy^2## over the region ##M = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, x \geq 0, y \geq 0 \}##. To solve this
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm trying to solve the following problem and I am unsure about what I did:

Calculate ##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy## with ##M = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, x \geq 0, y \geq 0 \}## and ##f(x,y) = xy^2##.

Homework Equations

One equation I'd like to discuss comes from the script of my teacher and is:

##\int_{x^2 + y^2 \leq R^2} f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^R r \bigg( \int_0^{2π} f(r \cos \phi, r \sin \phi) d \phi \bigg) dr##

He claims that works when ##f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## is continuous and ##R > 0##. In general the conversion to polar coordinates is no problem for me, but here I'm wondering where does the first ##r## on the right-hand side come from?

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I tried to use the equation given above without too much thinking, and I repeatedly came up with ##0## as a result. Then I tried to derive the bounds from the conditions present in ##M##, and here's my go:

##x^2 + y^2 \leq 1 \implies r^2 (\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi) \leq 1 \implies 0 \leq r \leq 1##

##r \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{2}##
##r \sin \phi \geq 0 \implies \sin \phi \geq 0 \implies 0 \leq \phi \leq \pi##
##\implies 0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{2}##

Is that correct? Then I solved the integral with the bounds that I found:

##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg( \int_0^1 r^4 \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi\ dr \bigg) d\phi##
##= \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg[ \frac{r^5}{5} \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi \bigg]_0^1 d\phi##
##= \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{1}{5} \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi\ d\phi##
##= \frac{1}{5} \bigg[ \frac{\sin^3 \phi}{3} \bigg]_0^{\pi/2}## (I skipped the substitution part)
##= \frac{1}{15}##

As you can see, I put the ##r## of the equation above inside the integral, though I am not sure why it is there. Is that the correct way to tackle the problem in general?Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, always glad to read your comments.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm trying to solve the following problem and I am unsure about what I did:

Calculate ##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy## with ##M = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, x \geq 0, y \geq 0 \}## and ##f(x,y) = xy^2##.

Homework Equations

##\int_{x^2 + y^2 \leq R^2} f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^R r \bigg( \int_0^{2π} f(r \cos \phi, r \sin \phi) d \phi \bigg) dr##

He claims that works when ##f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## is continuous and ##R > 0##. In general the conversion to polar coordinates is no problem for me, but here I'm wondering where does the first ##r## on the right-hand side come from?

So at first I tried to use the equation given above without too much thinking, and I repeatedly came up with ##0## as a result. Then I tried to derive the bounds from the conditions present in ##M##, and here's my go:

##x^2 + y^2 \leq 1 \implies r^2 (\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi) \leq 1 \implies 0 \leq r \leq 1##

##r \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{2}##

##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg( \int_0^1 r^4 \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi\ dr \bigg) d\phi##
##= \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg[ \frac{r^5}{5} \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi \bigg]_0^1 d\phi##
##= \frac{1}{5} \bigg[ \frac{\sin^3 \phi}{3} \bigg]_0^{\pi/2}## (I skipped the substitution part)
##= \frac{1}{15}##

As you can see, I put the ##r## of the equation above inside the integral, though I am not sure why it is there. Is that the correct way to tackle the problem in general?Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, always glad to read your comments.Julien.
If I understand your question correctly, the "extra" r comes from conversion from an iterated integral in Cartesian (or rectangular) form, to polar form. In general, an integral of the form ##\int \int f(x, y) dx dy## becomes ##\int \int g(r, \theta) r~drd\theta##.

Likes JulienB
Mark44 said:
If I understand your question correctly, the "extra" r comes from conversion from an iterated integral in Cartesian (or rectangular) form, to polar form. In general, an integral of the form ##\int \int f(x, y) dx dy## becomes ##\int \int g(r, \theta) r~drd\theta##.

Hi @Mark44 and thanks for your answer. Yes that was my first question, I can see now where this ##r## comes from. :)Julien.

JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##= \frac{1}{15}##

Have you really never seen the change-of-variable formulas for double or triple integrals? If not, you should study that material; it is entirely standard, and of great importance in future studies; it also can save you hours of work.

See, eg.,
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/ChangeOfVariables.aspx
or
http://math.oregonstate.edu/home/pr...ulusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/change/change.html

Hi @Ray Vickson! No I had seen them, something in my head didn't connect when seeing that formula in the middle of the script of my teacher. But what about the integral? Did I do it correctly, especially the bounds bit?

Thanks for the links. :)Julien.

JulienB said:
But what about the integral? Did I do it correctly, especially the bounds bit?
Julien.
Yes. It looks correct to me .

Likes JulienB
@SammyS That's great, thanks a lot for reviewing my work!Julien.

1. What is a multivariable integral with unclear bounds?

A multivariable integral with unclear bounds is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the volume under a surface or between multiple surfaces in three-dimensional space. The bounds refer to the limits of integration, which are often not explicitly given in the problem.

2. How is a multivariable integral with unclear bounds different from a regular integral?

In a regular integral, the bounds of integration are clearly defined and can be easily determined. In contrast, a multivariable integral with unclear bounds requires additional steps to determine the limits of integration, often involving multiple variables and equations.

3. What are some common techniques for solving a multivariable integral with unclear bounds?

Some common techniques for solving a multivariable integral with unclear bounds include using geometric reasoning, setting up and solving systems of equations, and converting the integral into a double or triple integral.

4. How do you know when to use which technique for solving a multivariable integral with unclear bounds?

The technique used for solving a multivariable integral with unclear bounds depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and then choose a technique that best fits the given situation.

5. What are some real-life applications of multivariable integrals with unclear bounds?

Multivariable integrals with unclear bounds have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a complex object, to determine the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, or to find the average value of a function over a region in space.