Phyiscs, finding components with per. line

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the x- and y-components of vector C, which is perpendicular to vector A and the scalar product of vec C with vec B is 16.0. However, the student is having trouble finding the components of C using the dot product.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

You are given vectors A= 5.1 { i } - 7.0 { j } and vec B= - 3.8 { i } + 7.3{j}. A third vector C lies in the xy-plane. Vector C is perpendicular to vector A and the scalar product of vec C with vec B is 16.0.

Find the x -component and y-component of vector vec C

Homework Equations

Not sure, I have no idea how to find components of C with no angles given. I used the Pythagorean theorem for finding the magnitudes of A and B, however, I do not know how/if that even helps.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for an attempt, I found the magnitude of A to be 8.6023 m while the magnitude of B to be 8.2293 m. I have tried to find C, but I have many different answers I keep getting, all around 5.0 meters, but definitely not right. I finally reached an answer of -2.04 m for the x-component, and it was utterly wrong.

I really need help. thanks. If you need me to clear anything up, just ask.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to take advantage of the properties of the dot product (scalar product) for this problem. Do you know how to calculate the dot product of two vectors from their components?

In order for two vectors to be perpendicular, what must be the value of their dot product?

gneill said:
You'll want to take advantage of the properties of the dot product (scalar product) for this problem. Do you know how to calculate the dot product of two vectors from their components?

In order for two vectors to be perpendicular, what must be the value of their dot product?

Yes, I know that vector A*B = AxBx + AyBy + AzBz, but I don't understand how I'm suppose to find C components by using scalar products.

(-3.81 i)(x)+(7.3 i)(y) = 16.0 meters.

B*C = 16.0 meter(scalar product)

However, how do I find X or Y this way?
Thats where I have issues finding the components of C.

Last edited:
What he was trying to say is the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0

Does than mean that the C x-component and y-component are zero?

No A doted with C equals 0 then B doted with C = 16. I'm not positive but I'm sure you could just use a simple linear system to figure it out.

EnjoiTAD said:
No A doted with C equals 0 then B doted with C = 16. I'm not positive but I'm sure you could just use a simple linear system to figure it out.

Alright, I see what you mean, but then I just get led back to my original equation of B*C =16.0 with 2 variables, which I don't know how to put two and two together(A*C = 0, B*C=16).

Thats just it have you solved linear systems before? I worked it out it works.
5.1x-7.0y=0
-3.8x+7.3y=16
just solve that.

EnjoiTAD said:

EnjoiTAD said:
Thats just it have you solved linear systems before? I worked it out it works.
5.1x-7.0y=0
-3.8x+7.3y=16
just solve that.

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it.

However, if anyone want to show me how to do the problem using a different method, that would be great.

1. What is the purpose of finding components with per. line in physics?

Finding components with per. line is used to break down a vector into its x and y components. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the vector's motion and direction.

2. How do you find the components with per. line in physics?

To find the components with per. line, you can use trigonometry and the angle of the vector to determine the x and y components. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and the magnitude of the vector to find the components.

3. Why is it important to find the components with per. line in physics?

It is important to find the components with per. line in physics because it allows for more accurate and precise calculations of a vector's motion and direction. It also simplifies the analysis of complex systems involving multiple vectors.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding components with per. line in physics?

One example of a real-world application is in projectile motion, where finding the components with per. line can help determine the trajectory and landing point of an object thrown or launched at an angle. It is also used in engineering and navigation, such as in designing bridges or determining the course of a ship.

5. Is finding components with per. line only applicable to linear motion?

No, finding components with per. line can also be applied to rotational motion. In this case, the components are known as tangential and radial components. They are used to analyze the motion of objects moving in a circular path or rotating around a fixed point.