Physic project -- DC motor with electromagnets

In summary, the conversation is about building a DC motor with four electromagnets instead of magnets. The person is looking for resources and has found some vintage projects using electromagnets. They also discuss the challenges of using electromagnets and replacing them for permanent magnets in a simple motor.
colin99
1. The problem statement, all variables and given
I do not have a clue where to get the information to built a DC motor with four electromagnets

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks but my teacher do not want magnet. He wants it to be electromagnets instead. I'm a bit a t lost here. Do the electromagnet ca replace the magnet?

I built, what was called a Tin Can Motor, when I was a kid. It used a coil on the rotor (moving part) and the stator (stationary part). So it had 2 electromagnets, rather than any permanent magnets. Here is a link that I found to some vintage projects, which are not exactly that, but similar. I am not sure about if there are 4 electromagnets, or not. http://www.vintageprojects.com/science/5-motors.pdf

colin99 said:
Thanks but my teacher do not want magnet. He wants it to be electromagnets instead. I'm a bit a t lost here. Do the electromagnet ca replace the magnet?
Yes. One electromagnet will be permanently excited in one current direction but the other you will have to figure out how to excite it alternately and synchronously with the rotation of the motor ...

Here is another one that I found, you may find interesting.

If you see a simple motor built around a horse-shoe permanent magnet, then you can replace that horse-shoe magnet with a similarly-shaped electromagnet.

Likes scottdave

Related to Physic project -- DC motor with electromagnets

1. How does a DC motor with electromagnets work?

A DC motor with electromagnets works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. The motor has two main components - a stator (stationary part) with permanent magnets and a rotor (rotating part) with electromagnets. When an electric current is passed through the electromagnets, a magnetic field is created which interacts with the fixed magnets on the stator, causing the rotor to rotate.

2. What is the role of the commutator in a DC motor with electromagnets?

The commutator is a crucial component in a DC motor with electromagnets. It is responsible for reversing the direction of the current in the electromagnets every half rotation of the rotor. This allows for continuous rotation of the rotor and ensures that the motor operates in one direction.

3. How do the number of turns on the electromagnets affect the performance of a DC motor?

The number of turns on the electromagnets determines the strength of the magnetic field and therefore, the speed and torque of the motor. A higher number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, leading to a faster and more powerful motor.

4. What are some common applications of DC motors with electromagnets?

DC motors with electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in electric cars, household appliances, industrial machinery, and robotics. They are also commonly used in fans, pumps, and power tools.

5. How can I control the speed of a DC motor with electromagnets?

The speed of a DC motor with electromagnets can be controlled by varying the voltage or current supplied to the motor. This can be achieved through a motor controller or by using a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal. The strength of the magnetic field can also be adjusted by changing the number of turns on the electromagnets, which will impact the motor's speed.