Physical implications from Vitali sets or Banach-Tarski?

In summary, non-measurable sets can't exist in physics, because they would violate conservation laws.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Can we infer something about physics from stuff like Vitali sets or the Banach-Tarski paradox? Maybe if we assume the energy in a given space volume to be well defined and finite, that there must be fundamental particles that can't be split, or that there must be a Planck length and energy or something along those lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
The physics and mathematics you are describing are completely unrelated.

How so? I need a measure to quantify the energy in a space volume. And that measure better not allow me to double the energy just by decomposing and rearranging the objects in it.

greypilgrim said:
How so? I need a measure to quantify the energy in a space volume. And that measure better not allow me to double the energy just by decomposing and rearranging the objects in it.
The sets involved in Banach-Tarski, as well as the Vitali sets, are not measurable.
As @mathman said, no relation between these sets and physics.

Well that's basically my question. Can we conclude from this that non-measurable sets can't exist in physics, because they would violate conservation laws?

greypilgrim said:
Well that's basically my question. Can we conclude from this that non-measurable sets can't exist in physics, because they would violate conservation laws?
I think so, but better wait for a physicist to give a reliable answer.

greypilgrim said:
Can we conclude from this that non-measurable sets can't exist in physics, because they would violate conservation laws?
I think the point is more that in order to get a conservation law, you're probably going to have to do an integration at some point (it's either that or go the differential route and wrestle with issues of continuity/differentiability), and you can't integrate without a measure. So in that regard, maybe non-measurable sets exist but are functionally useless (at least in physics).

What is a physical set? If it is something made of stuff, it is finite and always measurable.

mathman said:
What is a physical set? If it is something made of stuff, it is finite and always measurable.
Only if you assume the existence of elementary particles. If you don't, you could theoretically split something infinitely and maybe rearrange it like Banach and Tarski did. That's basically what I wondered in the original post, if we can conclude from the fact that we don't observe this, that there's only a finite number of stuff, or energy.

TeethWhitener said:
I think the point is more that in order to get a conservation law, you're probably going to have to do an integration at some point (it's either that or go the differential route and wrestle with issues of continuity/differentiability), and you can't integrate without a measure. So in that regard, maybe non-measurable sets exist but are functionally useless (at least in physics).
That raises the question if there are physical processes that can transform non-measurable sets (in phase space, I guess) into measurable sets and vice versa. I have no idea if such a dynamics is possible and how it could look like...

greypilgrim said:
Only if you assume the existence of elementary particles. If you don't, you could theoretically split something infinitely and maybe rearrange it like Banach and Tarski did. That's basically what I wondered in the original post, if we can conclude from the fact that we don't observe this, that there's only a finite number of stuff, or energy.
Even in mathematics we don't construct these non measurable sets. We invoke the axiom of choice to deduce their existence.
But sure, if you change the current paradigms of physics, and if you postulate the existence of a method to construct in a lab something (a non measurable set) that even in abstract mathematics isn't constructed, then yes, you could "theoretically" (no idea in what theoretical context), do anything.

But if you accept the laws of physics as they are known, the answer is still no: you can't become rich by repeatedly applying Banach-Tarski to an ounce of gold. :oldbiggrin:

Samy_A said:
Even in mathematics we don't construct these non measurable sets.
I'm not an expert in this area, but is this true? What about Vitali sets? Are they not constructed?

TeethWhitener said:
I'm not an expert in this area, but is this true? What about Vitali sets? Are they not constructed?
At some point one invokes the axiom of choice, at least in the version I know.

See here, for example, or on Wikipedia.

Solovay's theorem shows that without the axiom of choice, but with an added condition to ZF, all real sets are Lebesgue measurable.

Likes TeethWhitener
greypilgrim said:
AFAIK, you need to have an uncountable number of particles/atoms in order to make the construction. I guess this would constitute a physical limitation.

WWGD said:
AFAIK, you need to have an uncountable number of particles/atoms in order to make the construction. I guess this would constitute a physical limitation.

My question from the original post was actually addressing this, but in the other direction: Could nature's "mechanism" to forbid such constructions be that it limits the number of particles to a finite number? Or that it limits the number of energy chunks by exhibiting a smallest possible energy quantum, the Planck energy?

greypilgrim said:
My question from the original post was actually addressing this, but in the other direction: Could nature's "mechanism" to forbid such constructions be that it limits the number of particles to a finite number? Or that it limits the number of energy chunks by exhibiting a smallest possible energy quantum, the Planck energy?
Good question, I will give it a thought, but my knowledge of Physics is limited.

1. What are Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski?

Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski are mathematical concepts in measure theory and geometry, respectively. Vitali sets were first introduced by Italian mathematician Giuseppe Vitali in 1905, while Banach-Tarski was discovered by Polish mathematicians Stefan Banach and Alfred Tarski in 1924. Both concepts involve the division of a space into smaller pieces, and have important implications in physics and other fields.

2. What are the physical implications of Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski?

The physical implications of Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski are highly debated and controversial. Some argue that these concepts challenge our understanding of physical space and the idea of conservation of volume. Others suggest that these concepts have limited practical applications and are more of mathematical curiosities.

3. How do Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski relate to the Banach-Tarski paradox?

The Banach-Tarski paradox, also known as the Banach-Tarski decomposition, is a mathematical paradox derived from the Banach-Tarski theorem, which is a consequence of Vitali sets. The paradox states that it is possible to divide a solid sphere into a finite number of pieces, rearrange them, and obtain two identical copies of the original sphere. This challenges the idea of conservation of volume and has implications for the foundations of mathematics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski?

While Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski have been studied extensively in mathematics and philosophy, their real-world applications are limited. Some suggest that these concepts have implications for the study of fractals and self-similar structures, while others argue that they have no practical applications.

5. What are some criticisms of the concept of Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski?

There are several criticisms of Vitali sets and Banach-Tarski, including the fact that they are highly abstract and have limited practical applications. Some also argue that these concepts rely on the Axiom of Choice, which is controversial in mathematics and raises questions about the foundations of these concepts. Additionally, the Banach-Tarski paradox has been heavily criticized for its counterintuitive implications and its potential to undermine our understanding of physical space and reality.