Physical pendulum thin rods problem

In summary, two identical thin rods with mass m and length L are joined at right angles and balanced on a sharp edge. If deflected, the object oscillates with a frequency of 1/4∏(√(6g/√(2L)). The moment of inertia of the object can be found by adding the individual moments of inertia of each rod. The angle between the rods does not need to be taken into account. The desired frequency is the ordinary frequency, not the angular frequency.
dzidziaud

Homework Statement

Two identical thin rods, each with mass m and length L, are joined at right angles to form an L shaped object. This object is balanced on top of a sharp edge. If the L shaped object is deflected slightly, it oscillates. Find the frequency of oscillation.
Here is a picture:
http://www.luiseduardo.com.br/undulating/SHM/shmproblems_arquivos/image111.jpg
the correct answer is 1/4∏(√(6g/√(2L)).

Homework Equations

moment of inertia of a slender rod about one end: I = 1/3mL^2
ω=√(mgd/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the center of mass is at 45° between the rods, √2/2L down from the pivot. Let me know if that is wrong. I think that would make d=√2/2L. So my main problem is in finding I. I know I for each rod, but I don't know how to use that to find I for the entire oscillating object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of inertia is additive. If you know the moments of inertia of two bodies (with respect to one point), then the moment of inertia of the combined body (with respect to the same point) is the sum of the moments.

What do I do to take the angle into account?

Why would you? Are there any angles in the definition of the moment of inertia?

Well, no. But the answer I am getting is just a factor of pi/2 off from the correct answer, but I don't know where that is coming from.

What frequency are you supposed to find? Angular ##\omega## or ordinary ##f##?

Likes 1 person
Oh my goodness, you're right. I've been looking for the angular frequency when this question calls for regular frequency. Thank you so much! I can't believe I wasted so much time on such a silly oversight :P

What is a physical pendulum thin rod problem?

A physical pendulum thin rod problem refers to a specific type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a thin, rigid rod that is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing back and forth.

What factors affect the motion of a physical pendulum thin rod?

The motion of a physical pendulum thin rod is affected by several factors, including the length and mass of the rod, the angle of release, and the force of gravity.

How can the period of a physical pendulum thin rod be calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum thin rod can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the rod, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the rod.

What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a physical pendulum thin rod?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass suspended from a string, while a physical pendulum thin rod involves a rigid rod that is suspended from a fixed point. The motion of a simple pendulum is governed by the length of the string, while the motion of a physical pendulum is affected by factors such as mass and length.

What are some real-world applications of the physical pendulum thin rod problem?

The physical pendulum thin rod problem has various real-world applications, including determining the stability of structures such as bridges and buildings, analyzing the motion of objects like pendulum clocks, and understanding the behavior of sports equipment like bats and golf clubs.