Physics Behind Weebles: Can You Build One?

In summary, Weebles wobble but they don't fall. The center of mass lies close to the bottom, so if you have a person on top of the hemisphere, you need to countersink them into the surface to reduce the center of mass.
RMV
Weebles wobble but they don't fall. I came to know that they wobble and come back to position since the center of mass lies close to the bottom.
Can I apply the formula for center of mass and do a human weeble as in
search

In that case if I consider a hemisphere of radius 60 cm and the average weight of a person as 70 Kg (M2) and height of the person as 175 cm. The center of mass of the person is at his middle at 87.5 cm (R2) from the top of the hemisphere. My aim is to find the mass (M1) to put at the bottom for it to act as a weeble. The center of mass of the system must be at the bottom say 30 cm (R1) from the ground into the hemisphere.
By considering a coordinate system with COM at (0,0), M1 at R1 (- 30,0) and M2 at (117.5,0)
M1 =( M2* R2) / R1
M1 = 70 * 117.5/ 30 = 274.2 kg

But this seems very large! Is it right?
Will I be able to build one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a cool project. Is the person standing on top of the hemisphere? You could have the person countersunk into the hemisphere to reduce the center of mass. If you want the center of mass to be 30 cm above the bottom of the hemisphere, then you can't have M1 at (-30,0) since that's the bottom of the hemisphere. The mass has some size, so it would probably be somewhere like (-15,0). Maybe you could make the base out of lead. Concrete might not be dense enough.

b300c-10932588_877745252248726_130537866_n.jpg

This is the model.
Khashishi said:
If you want the center of mass to be 30 cm above the bottom of the hemisphere, then you can't have M1 at (-30,0) since that's the bottom of the hemisphere. The mass has some size, so it would probably be somewhere like (-15,0).
Yes, I should have used something around (-15,0).Thanks!
In that case the mass goes to 500 kg ! Is it right? Its hard to believe we need 500 kg to balance 75 kg.

Likes shihab-kol
Wow.Thats great.

hi there can you please send me the mathematical model of weeble mechanism

1. How do Weebles stay upright?

Weebles stay upright due to their low center of gravity and the shape of their base. The bottom of a Weeble is wider than the top, which makes it harder for the toy to tip over. This, combined with the weight distribution inside the Weeble, allows it to always return to an upright position.

2. What is the physics behind the wobbling motion of Weebles?

The wobbling motion of Weebles is caused by the same principles of physics that keep them upright. The low center of gravity and weight distribution allow the Weeble to wobble back and forth without falling over. This motion is also known as "translation" in physics.

3. Can you build a Weeble using physics principles?

Yes, it is possible to build a Weeble using physics principles such as center of gravity and weight distribution. By carefully designing the shape and weight distribution of the base, you can create a toy that will always return to an upright position after being pushed or tipped over.

4. How does the material of the Weeble affect its ability to wobble?

The material of the Weeble can affect its ability to wobble, but it is not the determining factor. The shape and weight distribution of the Weeble are more important in determining its wobbling motion. However, a material that is too heavy or too light may affect the Weeble's ability to stay upright.

5. Can the physics behind Weebles be applied to other objects or structures?

Yes, the physics principles behind Weebles can be applied to other objects and structures. The concept of center of gravity and weight distribution is important in designing stable structures, such as buildings and bridges. The wobbling motion of Weebles can also be seen in other objects, such as toys that have a weighted bottom to prevent them from falling over.