Physics degrees of freedom problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1.12 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas undergoing a process where its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are given and it is assumed that there are 5 active degrees of freedom. The formula for calculating heat and work is mentioned and the connection between degrees of freedom and heat capacity is highlighted. The linearity of the P vs T curve is also noted as a potential solution to finding work.
squib
A 1.12 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 491 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 735 K and 1.39 atm. Assume 5 active degrees of freedom.

Neither pressure nor volume nor temp are constant, so I'm confused to how I'm supposed to find work or q.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen this formula before?

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U \pm W[/tex], the [tex]\pm[/tex] is there depending on how you define when is work positive. If I recall correctly [itex]U = \frac {q}{2} n R T[/itex] where [itex]q[/itex] is the numbers of degree of freedom.

squib said:
A 1.12 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 491 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 735 K and 1.39 atm. Assume 5 active degrees of freedom.

Neither pressure nor volume nor temp are constant, so I'm confused to how I'm supposed to find work or q.

A couple of things you need to key on. What is the connection between degrees of freedom and heat capacity? And what can you do with the fact that the P vs T curve is linear?

I assume I could graph P vs V and find work, but that seems like more work then should be neccesary. I can find the change in U, or overall energy of the system, the only problem I'm having is with work, which should give me heat since I know U.

Related to Physics degrees of freedom problem

What is the "Physics degrees of freedom problem"?

The "Physics degrees of freedom problem" is a concept in physics that refers to the number of independent ways in which a system can move or store energy. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, and is used to determine the behavior of systems at the microscopic level.

Why is the "Physics degrees of freedom problem" important?

The "Physics degrees of freedom problem" is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex systems at the microscopic level. By determining the number of degrees of freedom, we can predict how a system will behave and how energy will be distributed within the system.

What factors affect the number of degrees of freedom in a system?

The number of degrees of freedom in a system is affected by the number of particles, the dimensions of the system, and the interactions between particles. For example, a gas in a 3-dimensional space will have 3 degrees of freedom per particle, while a gas in a 2-dimensional space will have 2 degrees of freedom per particle.

How does the "Physics degrees of freedom problem" relate to entropy?

The "Physics degrees of freedom problem" is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. As the number of degrees of freedom increases, the entropy of a system also increases, as there are more ways for the system to arrange itself.

Can the "Physics degrees of freedom problem" be solved for every system?

No, the "Physics degrees of freedom problem" cannot be solved for every system as it depends on the complexity of the system and the interactions between particles. In some cases, it is possible to approximate the number of degrees of freedom, but in other cases, it may not be feasible to do so accurately.