When Will John Catch Up to Mary?

• Thread starter Larrytsai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Mary and her brother John left home at different times, with Mary leaving at noon running at 7m/s towards school and John leaving 35 seconds later running at 8m/s. Using the equations d=d0+vt, it can be determined that when John caught up to Mary, she was already 245 meters away from the house. To solve for the time passed and the distance from the house, two separate equations will need to be used for Mary and John, with t=0 representing when each of them left the house.
Larrytsai
Mary left home at noon running at 7m/s towards school. Her brother John left 35 seconds later running at 8m/s. How much time passed and how far were they from the house when John caught up to Mary.

Homework Equations

My solution i tried was to the x-y graph. My notes saids I am supposed to use these formulas
d-d0=vt , d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried graphing as an university friend/student has told me but it just doesn't work out because when I get to john i have no clue to where i start on the graph to graph johns distance. All i know right now is that in 35 seconds, when john leaves Mary is at 245 metres.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok those equations are correct the thing is you need to have 2 equations for the distance.
One will represent Mary, another will represent John.

[tex]d_{Mary}=d_0+vt[/tex]
[tex]d_{John}=d_0+vt[/tex]

since velocity is constant a=0 and we loose that a/2*t^2 part.

So when should time start for these equations?
t=0 Mary leaves the house? or
t=0 John leaves the house, Mary has a 35s lead and is how many m away from the house already?

Last edited:

As a scientist, your approach to solving this problem would involve using the equations of motion to determine the time and distance at which John catches up to Mary. The first step would be to define your variables: d0 is the initial distance (in this case, the distance from the house), d is the final distance (also the distance from the house), v is the velocity, and t is the time.

Using the equation d = vt, we can determine the distance that Mary has traveled in t seconds, which is 7t meters. Similarly, John has traveled a distance of 8(t-35) meters in t seconds, since he left 35 seconds later.

Since we know that John catches up to Mary at some point, we can set their distances equal to each other and solve for t:

7t = 8(t-35)
7t = 8t - 280
t = 280 seconds

So, after 280 seconds, John has caught up to Mary. To find the distance from the house at this time, we can plug t = 280 into either equation:

d = vt = (7)(280) = 1960 meters

Therefore, after 280 seconds, John has caught up to Mary and they are 1960 meters from the house.

1. What is distance in physics?

Distance in physics is defined as the amount of space between two points or objects. It is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How is distance different from displacement?

Distance and displacement are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts in physics. Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points.

3. What is the formula for calculating distance in physics?

The formula for calculating distance is distance = speed x time. This is derived from the definition of speed, which is distance divided by time.

4. Can distance be negative in physics?

In physics, distance is always a positive quantity. It represents the magnitude or amount of space between two points, so it cannot be negative. However, displacement can be negative if an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position.

5. How is distance related to other physical quantities?

Distance is closely related to other physical quantities such as speed, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in the equations for calculating work, energy, and force. Additionally, distance is a key component in the study of motion, which is a fundamental concept in physics.