Physics find angle of inclined plane help?

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle of inclination of an inclined plane given the constant velocity of a sliding block and the coefficient of kinetic friction. Through calculations and using the equations for the net force in the x and y direction, the angle is found to be 24⁰. The question does not provide a value for the applied force, but it is not needed since the block is only affected by gravity while sliding.
crosbykins
URGENT physics find angle of inclined plane! help!?

Homework Statement

A block slides down an inclined plane at a constant velocity of 0.14m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.45. What is the angle of inclination?

Homework Equations

Fnetx = Fk -mgsintheta
Fnety = FN -mgcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

FN-mgcosΘ = 0
FN =mgcosΘ

FN µK –mgsinΘ =0
FN = mgsinΘ/.45

mgcosΘ = mgsinΘ/.45
.45 = mgsinΘ/ mgcosΘ
.45 = tanΘ
tan-1.45 =Θ
24⁰ =Θ

Is this correct? What I don't understand is that shouldn't Fnetx include an Fapp? The question doesn't give a value for Fapp so I don't how you would use it to find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi crosbykins! :smile:

(have a smaller theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
crosbykins said:
What I don't understand is that shouldn't Fnetx include an Fapp? The question doesn't give a value for Fapp so I don't how you would use it to find the answer.

yes that looks fine :smile:

i'm not sure what you mean by Fapp

the block is simply sliding under gravity (any force that pushed it to get it started has been removed)

Thank you so much for the help tiny-tim!

1. How do I find the angle of an inclined plane using physics?

To find the angle of an inclined plane using physics, you would need to use the formula: angle = arctan (height/length). This means you would need to measure the height and length of the inclined plane and use a calculator to find the arctangent of the ratio to determine the angle.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the force required to move an object up the plane?

The relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the force required to move an object up the plane is known as the mechanical advantage. The smaller the angle, the less force is required to move an object up the plane. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is spread out over a longer distance, making it easier to overcome.

3. Can the angle of an inclined plane affect the speed of an object?

Yes, the angle of an inclined plane can affect the speed of an object. The steeper the angle, the greater the force of gravity pulling the object down the plane. This will cause the object to accelerate faster, resulting in a higher speed compared to a shallower angle.

4. How does friction play a role in determining the angle of an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the angle of an inclined plane. The steeper the angle, the more the force of gravity is pulling the object down the plane, which can increase the friction between the object and the plane. This can make it more difficult for the object to move up the plane, requiring a greater force to overcome the friction.

5. What is the difference between the angle of an inclined plane and the angle of repose?

The angle of an inclined plane refers to the angle at which the plane is positioned, while the angle of repose refers to the maximum angle at which an object can rest on an inclined plane without sliding down. This angle is affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the object, as well as the surface of the inclined plane.