Physics Grad School: How Big a Deal Is Proceedings Paper?

• Thread starter scorinaldi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between publishing a paper in a physics journal and a proceedings paper for a conference. The person asking for advice is an undergraduate senior applying to physics graduate school and has published a proceedings paper with their advisor. There is some debate over the importance of proceedings papers in the eyes of graduate admissions boards, with some considering it less important compared to journal publications. However, the person also mentions the value of presenting current, unfinished work through proceedings papers.
scorinaldi
hey physics grad school gurus,

i am an undergraduate senior applying to physics graduate school for next fall.

working with one of my advisors we published a proceedings paper for the 2007 SPIE noise and fluctations conference this year. ( http://spie.org/x6628.xml )

how different is this from publishing a paper in a physics journal? are proceedings papers the same as papers accepted in physics journals? or are they less of a big deal in the eyes of graduate physics admissions boards? do they matter at all?

thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
SPIE's not bad.

It's not a journal publication, in that you usually know the reviewers (your colleagues), but you can put it down as published proceedings.

e2a: for me it's more about presenting current, unfinished work.

Also, I've had reviewers for journals tell me my stuff's not new because it's already appeared in my SPIE articles -- of course, they have to be argued down. These days, I like to fill the SPIE pages with large pictures :smile:

I can provide you with some insights on the value of proceedings papers in the eyes of graduate admissions boards. Proceedings papers are typically papers that are presented at conferences and then published in the conference proceedings. They are often shorter and less detailed than papers published in physics journals, as they are meant to provide a summary of the research presented at the conference.

In general, proceedings papers are not considered as prestigious as papers published in reputable physics journals. This is because the peer-review process for proceedings papers is usually less rigorous compared to that of journals. However, this does not mean that proceedings papers are not valuable or important. They can still provide valuable contributions to the scientific community and can be a great way to share your research with others.

In terms of graduate admissions, having a proceedings paper can definitely be a positive aspect of your application. It shows that you have experience presenting your research at a conference and that your work has been recognized by your peers. However, it may not carry as much weight as a paper published in a reputable journal. Admissions boards will also consider other factors such as your grades, letters of recommendation, and research experience when evaluating your application.

In summary, while proceedings papers may not hold the same level of prestige as papers published in physics journals, they can still be a valuable addition to your application. It is important to remember that the quality and impact of your research is what truly matters in the eyes of the scientific community. Keep working hard and continue to publish your work in reputable sources, whether it be in journals or proceedings papers. Good luck with your graduate school applications!

1. What is a proceedings paper in physics grad school?

A proceedings paper is a written report or summary of a presentation or research study that is published in a collection of papers from a scientific conference or symposium. It typically includes an abstract, introduction, methodology, results, and conclusions.

2. How important is it to have a proceedings paper in physics grad school?

A proceedings paper can be a valuable addition to a physics grad student's resume and can demonstrate their research and presentation skills. It can also serve as a platform for publishing early research results and gaining feedback from the scientific community.

3. Is it necessary to have a proceedings paper to get into a physics grad school?

No, it is not necessary to have a proceedings paper to get into a physics grad school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including undergraduate coursework, letters of recommendation, and research experience, when evaluating applicants.

4. How do I prepare and present a proceedings paper in physics grad school?

To prepare a proceedings paper, you should follow the guidelines and formatting requirements provided by the conference or symposium. This may include outlining your research, creating graphs or tables, and writing a clear and concise abstract. When presenting, make sure to practice your presentation and be prepared to answer questions from the audience.

5. Can a proceedings paper lead to other opportunities in physics grad school?

Yes, a proceedings paper can lead to other opportunities in physics grad school. It can help you establish yourself as a researcher in your field, network with other scientists, and potentially lead to collaborations or job offers. It can also serve as a stepping stone to publishing in peer-reviewed journals.