Physics Heat Ice Water Mixture Question And Find Initial Mass Of Ice

In summary, when 35g of steam at 100 degrees Celsius is condensed in water, the temperature rises to 50 degrees Celsius.
justinh8

Homework Statement

An ice-water mixture has a mass of 180g and is contained in a 100g aluminum calorimeter When 35g of steam at 100 degree Celsius is condensed in the water, the temperature rises to 50 degree Celsius. How much ice was in the container initially?
The heat capacity of water is 4.2 x 10^3
The heat capacity of ice is 2.1 x 10^3
The latent heat of vaporization is 2.3 x10^6

Homework Equations

Q =mc delta t
Q = mLv

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt really have an attempt because i didnt know where to start, all i did was find the Q =mLv

Physics news on Phys.org
justinh8 said:

Homework Statement

An ice-water mixture has a mass of 180g and is contained in a 100g aluminum calorimeter When 35g of steam at 100 degree Celsius is condensed in the water, the temperature rises to 50 degree Celsius. How much ice was in the container initially?
The heat capacity of water is 4.2 x 10^3
The heat capacity of ice is 2.1 x 10^3
The latent heat of vaporization is 2.3 x10^6

Homework Equations

Q =mc delta t
Q = mLv

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt really have an attempt because i didnt know where to start, all i did was find the Q =mLv

An ice/water mixture will be at 0 degrees.

What you have here is:

Some water heated up from 0 to 50,

Some ice melted, then heated up form 0 to 50

Some aluminium heated up from 0 to 50

Some steam condensed, then cooled from 100 to 50.

The first 3 required heat to happen,

The fourth gave up heat while happening.

The heat given up and the heat required are the same.

As for masses, you know the Al and the steam. The water and ice total 180.

Ya I understand that part but how do i find the energy required for the Ice and Water if i don't have a mass? but only a mass for both of them together?

justinh8 said:
Ya I understand that part but how do i find the energy required for the Ice and Water if i don't have a mass? but only a mass for both of them together?

Once the ice melts, you have 180g of water at 0 degrees.

100g of Al and 180g of water need just so much energy to reach 50 degrees.
the extra energy from the steam must have been used to melt the ice; so you can calculate how much ice there was.

Oh, Ok i think i got it, i ended up with 138g of ice in the mixture initially which is correct according to the answers. Thanks!

Related to Physics Heat Ice Water Mixture Question And Find Initial Mass Of Ice

1. What is the concept of heat in physics?

The concept of heat in physics is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another. It is the result of the random motion of particles within a substance and the energy that is transferred is determined by the difference in temperature between the two objects.

2. How does heat affect ice and water?

When heat is applied to ice, it causes the particles within the ice to gain energy and start moving faster. This results in the ice melting and turning into liquid water. When heat is removed from water, the particles start to lose energy and slow down, causing the water to freeze into solid ice.

3. What is the relationship between heat and the initial mass of ice in a water mixture?

The initial mass of ice in a water mixture is directly related to the amount of heat required to melt the ice and raise the temperature of the resulting water. The more ice there is, the more heat is needed to melt it. This relationship can be described by the equation Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How can the initial mass of ice in a water mixture be calculated?

The initial mass of ice in a water mixture can be calculated by using the equation Q = m x c x ΔT. The heat energy (Q) can be measured using a thermometer and the specific heat capacity (c) of ice can be looked up in a reference table. The change in temperature (ΔT) can also be measured using a thermometer. By rearranging the equation, the initial mass (m) of ice can be calculated.

5. Why is it important to know the initial mass of ice in a water mixture?

Knowing the initial mass of ice in a water mixture is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the amount of heat energy needed to melt the ice and raise the temperature of the resulting water. This information is useful in many practical applications, such as in refrigeration systems or in predicting the effects of climate change on polar ice caps.