Question about thermal physics -- Ice cubes melting in water

In summary, the ice cubes in a vacuum flask lose 49.5 J of heat when melted. The temperature of the water will increase by 32 degrees Celsius once the equilibrium is reached.
ianc1339
Homework Statement
Ice cubes of total mass 150 g are placed in a vacuum flask holding 350 g of water at a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius. Assuming the vacuum flask loses no heat and has negligible heat capacity, what will be the final temperature of the water after all the ice has melted.
Relevant Equations
Q = mLf,
Q = mcΔT
First, I calculated the heat required for the ice to melt:

Q=mLf

Q=0.150×330

Q=49.5 J

Then, I calculated the final temperature of the water by forming the following equation:

Q=mcΔT

−49.5=(0.15+0.35)×4200×(Tf −80)

Tf=80.0 degrees Celcius

But the answer says 32 degrees Celsius.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianc1339 said:
Homework Statement:: Ice cubes of total mass 150 g are placed in a vacuum flask holding 350 g of water at a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius. Assuming the vacuum flask loses no heat and has negligible heat capacity, what will be the final temperature of the water after all the ice has melted.
What is the initial temperature of the ice?
ianc1339 said:
Having melted the ice, what masses of water at what temperatures do you have?

Likes ianc1339 and Lnewqban
haruspex said:
What is the initial temperature of the ice?

Having melted the ice, what masses of water at what temperatures do you have?

It didn't say anything about it. So I'm assuming it to be 0 degrees Celsius.

ianc1339 said:
It didn't say anything about it. So I'm assuming it to be 0 degrees Celsius.
Ok, but what about my second question?

Likes ianc1339
Welcome, ianc1339 :cool:
In real life, could the temperature of a mass of water remain the same (80 degrees Celsius in this case) if you add about half the mass of ice to it?

Your mass of water has more thermal energy than your mass of ice.
If you put both masses in direct contact, naturally a flow of energy from hotter to cooler will occur.

Once the thermal equilibrium is reached (there is no more energy flow), the original mass of frozen water will have a higher temperature and the original mass of water will have a lower temperature, the value of both being the same.

The calculation would be easier if you originally had two masses of water at different temperatures: the final temperature would be proportional to the masses.
In the case of this problem, some of the original energy of the mass of water must be used to melt the mass of ice, while its temperature remains at 0 degrees Celsius (heat of phase change).
From that point on, you have two masses of water at different temperatures and an ongoing flow of energy.

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/phase2.html#c1

:cool:

Last edited:
Likes ianc1339
ianc1339 said:
Q=mLf

Q=0.150×330

Q=49.5 J
What are the units attached to the numbers 0.150 and 330? Is your calculation consistent?

ianc1339 said:
Q=mcΔT

Does all the water cool down from 80°C? Doesn't some of it have to warm up from 0°?

Likes ianc1339
Calculating latent heat required to melt ice:
##
Q=mL_f\\

Q=0.150kg\times 330Jkg^-1\\

Q=49.5 J
##

Calculating change in temperature of water:
##
Q=mc\Delta T\\

−49.5J=0.35kg\times 4200Jkg^{-1}K^{-1}\times (T_f −80^o C)\\

T_f=79.966^oC
##

Calculating temperature when the two bodies of water reach thermal equilibrium:
##
0.15kg\times 4200Jkg^{-1}K^{-1}\times (T_f - 0^oC) = 0.35kg\times 4200Jkg^{-1}K^{-1}\times (79.966^oC - T_f)\\

T_f = 56.0^oC
##

I still got the wrong answer... Where did I make an error in my working?

ianc1339 said:
## 330Jkg^{-1}##
Check that number, paying attention to units.
Didn't it seem wrong that the water was only losing 0.034oC?
(For the LaTeX, you need to put {} around the -1.)

Last edited:
Likes ianc1339
haruspex said:
Check that number, paying attention to units.
Didn't it seem wrong that the water was only losing 0.034oC?
(For the LaTeX, you need to put {} around the -1.)

My book said the specific latent heat of ice was 330 Jkg^-1. But with a quick google search, it turns out that it is actually 330000 Jkg^-1.

And yes, I ended up getting 32 degrees Celsius. I don't know why the book wrote down the constant wrong which is quite annoying.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up!

1. How does the temperature of the water affect the rate of ice cube melting?

The temperature of the water plays a crucial role in the rate of ice cube melting. The higher the temperature of the water, the faster the ice cubes will melt. This is because heat energy is transferred from the warmer water to the colder ice cubes, causing them to melt.

2. Why do ice cubes melt faster in saltwater compared to freshwater?

Saltwater has a lower freezing point than freshwater, which means it can remain in a liquid state at lower temperatures. When salt is added to water, it lowers the freezing point, making it harder for the water molecules to bond and freeze. This allows the ice cubes to melt at a faster rate in saltwater compared to freshwater.

3. How does the shape of the ice cubes affect the melting process?

The shape of the ice cubes can impact the rate of melting. Ice cubes with a larger surface area will melt faster than those with a smaller surface area. This is because more of the ice cube is exposed to the warmer water, allowing for faster heat transfer and melting.

4. Can the type of container used for the ice cubes affect the melting rate?

Yes, the type of container can impact the melting rate of ice cubes. A container made of a material with good thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer heat more efficiently and cause the ice cubes to melt faster than a container made of a material with poor thermal conductivity, such as plastic.

5. Is there a limit to how many ice cubes can be added to water before the temperature of the water stops decreasing?

Yes, there is a limit to how many ice cubes can be added to water before the temperature stops decreasing. This is because once all the ice cubes have melted, the water will reach a maximum temperature, known as the equilibrium temperature, where the rate of heat transfer from the water to the ice is equal to the rate of heat transfer from the surroundings to the water.