Physics homework question (Dynamics)

In summary, the problem involves a box on a horizontal floor being pulled by a rope at a certain angle with a given force. The coefficients of friction are given and the goal is to determine the smallest possible mass of the box. The problem is solved by considering the maximum static friction and using the FBD to find the mass. There is also a separate problem involving a gymnast falling and coming to rest on the floor, where the goal is to find the magnitude of the force exerted by the floor on the gymnast.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

A rope exerts a force of magnitude 21 N, at an angle 31 deg above the horizontal, on a box at rest on a horizontal floor. The coefficients of friction between the box and floor are Us = 0.55 and Uk = 0.50. The box remains at rest. Determine the smallest possible mass of the box.

Homework Equations

U= Ff / Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about it yet, Sorry.

So far i drew a FBD which i believe is correct.

Any help with themethod would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i got it.

below is the solution.

Just a heads up, throughout the next few weeks i will be posting questions to some problems i have. I am pretty much using this site as my tutor since i cannot afford one. I appreciate all the help and thank you for being here.

Attachments

• LastScan.jpg
    LastScan.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 560
For any object subject to static friction the following holds true:
[tex]f_s < f_{s_{max}}=\mu _s N[/tex]
For the critically small mass, assume that the mass is on the verge of slipping and starting to move. The FBD should help you analyze all the forces at work and extract [tex]m[/tex] from the known variables.

Aww, a minute too late.

If you want to have your scans show up a bit quicker so people can respond to them before a moderator comes on, try uploading them to an image-sharing website and posting a link instead of posting them as attachments.

Will do in the furture, thank you.

I actually got a new problem. :)
Here it is:

A gymnast of mass 72Kg, initially hanging at rest from a bar. Let's go of the bar and falls vertically 0.92 m to the floor below. Upon landing, bends his knees, bringing himself to rest over a distance of 0.35 m. The floor exerts a constant force on him as he slows down. determine (b) the magnitude of the force the floor exerts on him as he slows down.

I did part (a) Which was to calculate the the velocity before hitting the floor.
Vf= 4.25 m/s

Thanks, this one i have been on for about 10 min so far.

Thanks to the original poster.

Although its about 50N off from the answer in my book it does make sense.

Since delta d = 0.35 m, g = -9.8 m/s^2, and Vf = (2g*0.92)^0.5, we have:
Vf = 4.24 m/s (speed as you hit the ground)

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2*a*d. This equation is valid for when you're slowing down/flexing your knees. In this equation, Vo = 4.24 from before and Vf = 0. Therefore we find that a = -25.8 m/s^2.

Since F = ma, F = 72kg * -25.8 m/s^2 = about 1850 N.

Matt1234 said:
Thanks to the original poster.

Although its about 50N off from the answer in my book it does make sense.

Since delta d = 0.35 m, g = -9.8 m/s^2, and Vf = (2g*0.92)^0.5, we have:
Vf = 4.24 m/s (speed as you hit the ground)

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2*a*d. This equation is valid for when you're slowing down/flexing your knees. In this equation, Vo = 4.24 from before and Vf = 0. Therefore we find that a = -25.8 m/s^2.

Since F = ma, F = 72kg * -25.8 m/s^2 = about 1850 N.
Hi, Matt. You should post new problems in a separate post; otherwise, your post will tend to get lost in the abyss. The Force you have calculated , 1850 N, is the net force acting on the gymnast. That is not the force of the floor acting on the gymnast. Draw a FBD of the gymnast while he is in contact with the floor and identify all forces acting on him; then determine the floor force using Newton 2. I don't get anything close to your (or the book's ?) result.

1. What is Dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

2. What type of problems can be solved using dynamics?

Dynamics can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the forces required to move an object, and predicting the motion of objects in a gravitational field.

3. What are the key principles of dynamics?

The key principles of dynamics are Newton's laws of motion and the concept of conservation of energy. Newton's laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

4. How do I approach solving a dynamics problem?

The first step in solving a dynamics problem is to draw a free-body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the object. Then, apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the net force acting on the object. Finally, use equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many real-life applications, such as designing structures to withstand forces, analyzing the motion of vehicles, and understanding the behavior of objects in space. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball in soccer or the forces acting on a gymnast during a routine.