Physics II: Electricity/Magnetism Conceptual Help

In summary, electricity and magnetism are two separate but related phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force exerted by magnetic fields. They are related because moving electric charges can create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. AC (alternating current) electricity is when the direction of the electric current periodically changes, while DC (direct current) electricity is when the current flows in only one direction. AC is commonly used in power transmission, while DC is used in electronic devices. An electric current creates a magnetic field by moving electric charge, which creates a circular magnetic field around the current-carrying wire. Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing
Baumer8993
I am having some conceptual trouble in my physics II class right now. The book is not that good, and I am looking for a website that has good conceptual practice. Do any of you know a website like this? My professors conceptual quizzes are killing me right now, and it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two separate but related phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force exerted by magnetic fields. They are related because moving electric charges can create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is when the direction of the electric current periodically changes, while DC (direct current) electricity is when the current flows in only one direction. AC is commonly used in power transmission, while DC is used in electronic devices.

How does an electric current create a magnetic field?

An electric current is created by the flow of electric charge. When this electric charge moves, it creates a circular magnetic field around the current-carrying wire. The strength of the magnetic field increases as the current increases.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This can be done by moving the conductor through a magnetic field, or by changing the strength of the magnetic field around the conductor.

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in terms of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the unified theory that explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It states that electric and magnetic fields are intertwined and can be converted into one another. This is why changing electric fields can create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.