Physics of ISM: Pressure, Volumes, Masses

In summary, the conversation discussed the different phases of the interstellar medium (ISM) and their typical number densities and temperatures. Part (a) involved using the ideal gas law to calculate the equal pressure of the three phases. Part (b) asked for the relative volumes of each phase if the gas in a galaxy were equally distributed between the three phases. The solution was found by scaling the volume of 1kg of each phase to the total mass of a galaxy. Part (c) asked for the relative volumes and masses of the other two phases in the Milky Way, given that half of the mass is in the warm phase and half of the volume is occupied by the warm phase. The solution can be found by assuming that the total mass
sharrington3

Homework Statement

Answer the following questions. Pleas show all of your work and your line of thinking and state your assumptions.

There are several phases of the ISM. Consider the following three phases with different typical number densities ## n ## and temperatures ## T ##.
  • The cold neutral medium (CNM) with ## n \simeq 10 cm^{-3} ## and ##T \simeq 100 K##;
  • The warm ionized medium (WIM) with ## n \simeq 0.1 cm^{-3} ## and ##T \simeq 10^4 K##;
  • The hot ionized medium (HIM) with ## n \simeq 10^{-3} cm^{-3} ## and ##T \simeq 10^6 K##;
(a) Compute the pressure of the three phases assuming the ideal gas law, and show that they are all equal. Describe the significance of this in a few sentences.

(b) If the gas in a galaxy were equally distributed between the phases so that 1/3 of the mass were in each of the three phases above, what would be the relative volumes filled by the three phases?

(c) For the Milky Way, half of the mass is thought to be in the warm phase, and it also resides in half of the volume of the galaxy. What are the relative volumes and masses of the other two phases?

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law
##PV = NRT##
##n = \frac{N}{V}##
##V_{total} = V_{CNM} + V_{WIM} + V_{HIM} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) was very simple to do. I found the pressure in each to be ## 8314 \frac{J}{cm^3 \cdot mol} ##. For whatever reason, I cannot figure out part b, and I feel that c will easily follow. I've tried assuming the mass of the Milky Way, dividing it into thirds, and then using the molar mass of each phase of the ISM to find the relative volume of each phase. The problem is, the entire mass of the Milky Way is not in gaseous form for one, and another thing is that the CNM is mostly neutral hydrogen and the WIM is mostly singly ionized hydrogen. I can easily calculate the number of atoms of each necessary to make up their respective 1/3 of the mass of the galaxy, but the rest of the mass coming from the HIM is made up of everything else, so I can't calculate the number of particles in the HIM to find the amount of volume it occupies.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) Your pressure has a strange unit (especially with the mol). Why don't you calculate it in Pa?

(b) If you have 1kg of cold, 1kg of warm and 1kg of hot medium, what is the total volume they will occupy? Can you scale this, if necessary?
(c) can be solved similar to (b), right.

I converted my answer for pressure. I apologize, I simply forgot to do that before. I got that the pressure for each, assuming each follows the ideal gas law, would be about ## 1.38 \times 10^{-14} Pa ##, which is right around the vacuum pressure out in space. For part (b), I made the assumption that number of molecules in each phase was the same, and I used that to calculate their relative volumes. I got a total volume that added up to 0.9999, so, about 99.99% of the total volume of a galaxy with such a distribution was represented (assuming that the volume of all three added to 1, where 1 is the normalized volume of whatever galaxy you're working with). I'm trying to solve these using only the information provided in the assignment proper.

I must be missing something important, or I'm an idiot, because I'm still having trouble with (c).

I don't understand your description of (b). What does the 0.9999 mean and how did you get it?

What did you try for (c)?

For part (b), we can use the ideal gas law to find the number of moles of gas in each phase, and then use the number density to find the volume occupied by that many moles. Let's assume that the total mass of the Milky Way is 1 kg (this is just a rough estimate for simplicity). Then, we can calculate the number of moles of gas in each phase:

CNM: ##n_{CNM} = \frac{1/3 \cdot M_{MW}}{m_{H} \cdot 0.1}## (since 1/3 of the mass is in the CNM and the rest is made up of hydrogen atoms)
WIM: ##n_{WIM} = \frac{1/3 \cdot M_{MW}}{m_{H} \cdot 1}## (since 1/3 of the mass is in the WIM and the atoms are singly ionized)
HIM: ##n_{HIM} = \frac{1/3 \cdot M_{MW}}{m_{H} \cdot 2}## (since 1/3 of the mass is in the HIM and the atoms are doubly ionized)

Using the ideal gas law, we can find the volume occupied by each phase:

CNM: ##V_{CNM} = \frac{n_{CNM}RT}{P} = \frac{1/3 \cdot M_{MW}}{m_{H} \cdot 0.1} \cdot \frac{8314 \cdot 100}{8314} = \frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac{M_{MW}}{m_{H}} = \frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac{1 kg}{1.67 \cdot 10^{-27} kg} = \frac{1}{3} \cdot 6 \cdot 10^{26} m^3 = 2 \cdot 10^{26} m^3##

WIM: ##V_{WIM} = \frac{n_{WIM}RT}{P} = \frac{1/3 \cdot M_{MW}}{m_{H} \cdot 1} \cdot \frac{8314 \cdot 10^4}{8314} = \frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac{M_{MW}}{m_{H}} \cdot

1. What is ISM?

ISM stands for Interstellar Medium, which refers to the matter and radiation that exists between stars in a galaxy. It is mostly made up of gas and dust, and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of stars and planetary systems.

2. How does pressure affect the ISM?

Pressure in the ISM is mainly caused by the collisions between particles and the radiation from nearby stars. High pressure regions can compress gas and dust, leading to the formation of new stars, while low pressure regions can trigger star explosions and the dispersion of material into the interstellar space.

3. What is the relationship between volume and mass in the ISM?

The volume and mass of the ISM are directly related. As the ISM is mostly made up of gas and dust, its volume is determined by the amount of material present. Therefore, the larger the volume of the ISM, the greater its mass.

4. How is ISM studied in physics?

ISM is studied using various methods in physics, such as spectroscopy, which allows scientists to analyze the chemical composition and physical properties of the gas and dust in the ISM. Other techniques include radio and infrared observations, which can provide insights into the temperature, density, and movement of the ISM.

5. What is the significance of understanding the physics of ISM?

Understanding the physics of ISM is crucial in our understanding of the universe and the processes that govern its evolution. The ISM is not only the birthplace of stars and planets, but it also plays a vital role in the circulation and distribution of elements essential for life. Studying the ISM can also provide insights into the origins of our own solar system and the possibility of habitable environments in other galaxies.