Physics or mathematics degree?

In summary, the individual is currently deciding between pursuing a 4-year Msci in physics or mathematics. They have a degree in computer science from the Open University and are considering a degree in physics as they believe math can be self-taught easier. They also have a strong interest in computers, 3D graphics, software, and operating systems, but are unsure if pursuing a career in this field would allow them to make a meaningful impact. They are considering quantum computing as a way to mix physics and math with computing. However, they are also considering the advice to go into aerospace engineering instead if they want to be in the aerospace field. They are also considering the potential for creating an aerospace company but acknowledge the capital-intensive nature of such
member 624364
Hi, currently I am having a dilemma trying to decide whether I want to do a 4 year Msci in physics or mathematics.

I am about to finish a degree in computer science I had started when I was 13 or 14 with the open university. Although, I still want to go to a real university for mathematics or physics.

My thoughts are that if I was to take a physics degree, would it be more worth while than maths as I could possibly self study the maths I would have taken had I done a degree in it?

I’d ideally like to have the same depth or understanding in both subjects like a double major but here in the uk and at the university I am looking at I do not believe it is possible. So I may have to self teach one or the other which I do not take as a degree.

I believe maths can be more easily self taught than physics which might require help and advice from peers and teachers etc. Am I correct in assuming this?

I am not entirely sure what area I would like to do as my PHD either, one thing I know I would like to eventually do one day is start an aerospace company, akin to Elon musk or John Carmack. I have a heavy interest in computers, 3D graphics, software and operating systems. Although I believe anything I would do in that area would not be that beneficial to humanity, I would like to make an impact and help strive forward. I do not think creating an operating system or some 3D graphics software will do that. But a rocket to another planet might :P

Any advice is appreciated, sorry if I did not make my question clear enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume that math is more easily self-taught than physics?

I have some problems with your plan.

You say you want to interested in computers, but don't want to go into computing because you wouldn't "make an impact."
Read about Elon Musk. He started in computing, was very successful, and then made SpaceX.
You cannot make an Aerospace start-up in the way you're thinking. It's too capital intensive.

If you would like to be in the aerospace field, go into aerospace engineering. If you like computers, go into computing.
If you want to mix physics and math with computing, quantum computing would be up your alley.

Dishsoap said:

I know I'm not the OP, but there is an experimental side of physics that is much harder to teach onesellf, especially once one is dealing with resource constraints.

Dishsoap said:

Maybe I am wrong in assuming math can be self taught easier than physics. But one thing that is helpful is that you can only ever be right or wrong with maths. Physics is usually the same but not always I would say.

Ramanujan was able to teach himself a lot of maths, but then again it doesn’t really prove anything. Maybe he could have just as easily learned physics but was not interested or had the resources.

Mathematics can be learned without having to do experiments in real life or to try and strengthen the understanding in doing so. Then again, I would say you don’t really have to perform experiments to learn physics do you?

I believe there is much more material in mathematics online than physics too simply because mathematics is so predominate in all sciences.

Quantum physics I think I remember hearing is very hard to understand and you could benefit from having a peer or lecturer to help explain it to you? I don’t really know as of yet as I have not tried learning it.

If you believe I am wrong, i’d like you to tell me why as I want to be able to self teach myself one of the subjects and major in the other as to have a full understanding from being able to frequently ask questions I could not really otherwise ask in a timely manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
zachx said:
I have some problems with your plan.

You say you want to interested in computers, but don't want to go into computing because you wouldn't "make an impact."
Read about Elon Musk. He started in computing, was very successful, and then made SpaceX.
You cannot make an Aerospace start-up in the way you're thinking. It's too capital intensive.
On the same topic, taking advice from Zachx. I would need to create something that could generate me enough revenue tip be able to create an aerospace company.

I believe the computer medium is the best most probabilistic chance of becoming successful selling software due to the vast nature of the internet and how many people have computers.

Therefore would a degree in mathematics more greatly benefit my ability at creating sophisticated 3D graphical rendering software and or computer vision algorithms? Or would physics actually benefit me more. I am unsure of which specific area of 3D graphics I would like to go into, but it is a toss up between realtime and offline either game engines, 3D modelling/simulation software or a path tracing engine.

1. What is the difference between a degree in physics and a degree in mathematics?

A degree in physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while a degree in mathematics focuses on the study of numbers, quantity, and space. Physics is more experimental and applied, while mathematics is more theoretical and abstract. Both degrees require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

2. What career options are available with a degree in physics or mathematics?

Graduates with a degree in physics or mathematics have a wide range of career options, including research and development, data analysis, finance, engineering, teaching, and more. They can work in various industries such as aerospace, technology, healthcare, and government.

3. Is a degree in physics or mathematics difficult?

Both degrees are challenging, as they require a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and a high level of critical thinking. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in these fields. It is important to have a passion for these subjects and a willingness to continuously learn and improve.

4. Can I pursue a degree in physics or mathematics without a strong background in these subjects?

While it is beneficial to have a strong background in physics and mathematics before pursuing a degree in these fields, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students develop the necessary skills. It is important to have a strong work ethic and a willingness to put in extra effort to catch up on any knowledge gaps.

5. What skills will I gain from a degree in physics or mathematics?

A degree in physics or mathematics will provide you with a variety of transferable skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. You will also develop strong analytical and research skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. These skills are highly valuable in many industries and can lead to a successful and fulfilling career.