Physics Particle Decay Question (Cons. of Momentum?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question regarding the conservation of momentum in a particle decay problem. The given information includes the masses of the particles involved and the total kinetic energy of the final decay products. The solution involves sketching the situation before and after the decay, using the equation (m1+m2)Vo = m1v1 + m2v2, and understanding the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum.
jlewallen18
Physics Particle Decay Question (Cons. of Momentum??)

Homework Statement

An isotope of Polonium 210Po with mass 3.49x10^-25 kg can decay into an alpha-particle(He Nucleus) with mass of 6.64x10^-27 kg and an isotope of lead 206Pb with a mass of 3.42x10^-25. If the polonium decays at rest. and the final decay products have a total KE of 8.65x10^-13 J, what are the speeds of the He and Pb nuclei?

Homework Equations

(m1+m2)Vo = m1v1 + m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to plug in what was given but then I get stuck...

(Po)(0) = (He)(V_He) + (Pb)(V_Pb)

That gets me nowhere.

It's multiple choice

A. 0.17 m
B. 0.15 m
C. 0.08 m
D. 0.03 m
E. 0.00 m

I wish I could show more work, I just don't know where to go with it at all

Physics news on Phys.org
All conservation of momentum problems have the same pattern.

step 1. sketch the situation "before" ... in this case you have a Po nucleus.
... draw on the momentum arrow and label it ... in this case, what is the initial momentum?

step 2. sketch the situation "after" ... in this case you have two particles.
... which directions to they head off in (compared to each other)?
... draw the momentum arrows and label them. Leave variable names for anything you don't know.

Is there a relationship between kinetic energy and momentum you can exploit?

Step 3. total momentum before = total momentum after.

1. What is the conservation of momentum in physics?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of all particles before and after an interaction will be the same.

2. How does particle decay relate to the conservation of momentum?

Particle decay refers to the process by which a particle breaks apart into smaller particles. According to the conservation of momentum, the total momentum before and after the decay must be the same. This means that the momenta of the decay products must add up to the initial momentum of the parent particle.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been consistently observed in all physical interactions. Any violation of this law would require a fundamental change in our understanding of the universe.

4. What are some examples of particle decay that follow the conservation of momentum?

One example is the decay of a neutron into a proton, electron, and antineutrino. Another example is the decay of a muon into an electron, electron antineutrino, and muon neutrino. In both cases, the total momentum of the decay products equals the initial momentum of the parent particle.

5. How is the conservation of momentum used in particle physics research?

The conservation of momentum is a crucial tool for studying particle interactions and determining the properties of particles. By measuring the momenta of the particles before and after an interaction, researchers can validate the conservation of momentum and use it to make predictions about the characteristics of new particles.