Physics Particle Movement Calculations

In summary, the position of a particle is given by the equation z = 2t^2 − 3t^3 and the question is asking for the times when the particle is at position z = 0. The solution involves factoring the equation and solving for the values of t. The correct solutions are t = 0, t = -1, and t = 1/2. The next question asks to use differentiation to find the velocity of the particle as a function of time. Differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function, and in this case, the velocity function can be found by differentiating the position function. The power rule is used to differentiate and the resulting velocity function is 4t - 9
Jordash

Homework Statement

A particle moves in such a way that its position z, in meters, is given as a function of time t, by the equation z = 2t^2 − 3t^3. At what times is the particle at position z = 0? (two answers; one is 6E-1)

Homework Equations

z = 2t^2 − 3t^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried plugging in certain numbers and I'm trying to figure out what my teacher means by 6E-1. Refreshing my memory of calculus etc..

Physics news on Phys.org
6E-1 means 6 x 10 to the power -1, which is 0.6.
You can put 6E-1 into your calculator, press ENTER or = and see that.
I don't think 6E-1 is a correct solution of that equation. Better check the question again.

You have a cubic equation to solve, luckily an easy one.
The usual approach is to factor it. Look for a common factor. For example, if you had this equation: 0 = 3x - 9, you would think as follows:
The factors of 3x are 3 and x.
The factors of the second term, 9, are 3 and 3.
The factor in both is 3. So you would write down the 3, put brackets and ask yourself what 3 must be multiplied by to get the original 3x - 9:

0 = 3x - 9 = 3(x - 3)
To solve it, you ask if each factor could be zero. 3 can't be zero, but x-3 can.
x - 3 = 0
x = 3 (from adding 3 to both sides)

example 2: 0 = 2t^3 + t^2 - t
t is a common factor of all 3 terms. So
0 = t(2t^2 + t - 1)
A method called "trinomial factoring" can be used on the factor in the brackets.
It is a bit too complicated to write easily in plain text, so I'll leave you to look it up.
0 = t(t+1)(2t-1)
Then t = 0 or t+1 = 0 or 2t-1 = 0
and the 3 solutions are t = 0, t = -1 and t = 1/2

Thank you very much for your help!

I came out with the following conclusion:

factored z=2t^2-3t^3 into z=t^2(2-3t)

so I concluded that one answer is t=0

because 0^2(anything) would = 0

I also thought 2-3(.666666forever don't know how to write that on comp) would also equal 0 because 3*0.6forever would equal 2 so 0.6 was close.

Is my thinking right?

Thanks again for your help very much appreciated.

Ok, new question related to this one:

Use Differentiation to find an expression for the velocity of the particle as a function of time.

I can't figure out what Differentiation is any ideas

Thanks

Jordash said:
Thank you very much for your help!I also thought 2-3(.666666forever don't know how to write that on comp) would also equal 0 because 3*0.6forever would equal 2 so 0.6 was close.

Is my thinking right?

Thanks again for your help very much appreciated.
If your function was 2t^2-3t^3 you can get t^2(2-3t)=0, so t=o and then:

2-3t=0 ---> -3t=-2 ---> t=(2/3) = .6666 (your teachers answer of 6E-1 i guess).

As far as differentiation, when you differentiate a position function, you get a velocity function. When you differentiate a velocity function

Im assuming you didnt learn differentiation yet? All you have to know for this question is the power rule:

say you have ax^n, to differentiate put it in the form of nax^n-1...

So here's an example:

7x^5 ---->after differentiation you get 35x^4

Related to Physics Particle Movement Calculations

1. What is a particle in physics?

A particle in physics refers to a small, localized object that is used to represent the behavior and interactions of matter and energy. It can be anything from an atom to a subatomic particle like an electron or quark.

2. What are the basic equations used in particle movement calculations?

The basic equations used in particle movement calculations include Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the forces acting on it. Other equations commonly used in particle movement calculations are those related to energy, momentum, and kinematics.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of a particle?

The velocity of a particle can be calculated by dividing the change in its position by the change in time. This is represented by the equation v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is velocity, xi and xf are the initial and final positions, and ti and tf are the initial and final times.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement.

5. How do external forces affect the movement of a particle?

External forces, such as gravity or friction, can affect the movement of a particle by changing its speed, direction, or both. These forces can cause the particle to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.