Physics Phd Teaching Engineering

In summary, if you have a degree in engineering, you may be able to teach physics courses at a university. However, it depends on the demand for lecturers and the specific engineering course you wish to teach.
fog37
Hello,

Does anyone know if a Phd in physics can teach engineering courses at a university? Or do you need to have an engineering degree?

Thanks you!

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Hello,

Does anyone know if a Phd in physics can teach engineering courses at a university? Or do you need to have an engineering degree?

Thanks you!

If I just answer "yes", is that meaningful to you?

Question like this, including "hi, I have a degree in such-and-such, can I do a PhD in physics?", are extremely vague and asking for something that isn't common. It means that there are only narrow and specific cases and opportunities when such a thing may and can happen.

I can show you cases where physics PhD's even becoming faculty members and Deans of engineering school. But does that mean that someone who received a degree in, say, optics, can immediately be plucked into teach an advanced course in Chemical Engineering? Let's be real here!

There are areas of physics, such as Accelerator science and Device physics, where the boundary between physics and engineering is blurred. In such cases, sure, someone in physics might qualify to teach a course in, say, RF engineering, etc. So this applies to very specific and narrow cases only!

It is why your question is vague and not meaningful.

Zz.

Likes fog37 and Bystander
Hello ZapperZ,

I see your point and appreciate your reply. Thank you.

More specifically, I am thinking about engineering physics degrees, where the core courses are physics courses with engineering courses added to the curriculum. I am wondering if the engineering courses in the engineering physics degree could be taught by the physics faculty (assuming they possesses some expertise in the course area) or those engineering courses must always and only be taught by the engineering faculty. Some schools don't have an engineering school but only a physics department. Could that physics department offer an engineering physics degree and also teach the engineering type courses?

Thanks!

fog37 said:
Hello,

Thanks you!

I took electromagnetics courses (electrical engineering version of E&M) that were taught by people with physics PhD's; their specialties were optics so that fit their expertise within the engineering school.

Likes fog37
I would say it depends on the demand for lecturers and the specific engineering course you wish to teach. The amount of behind the scenes politics in determining who teaches university courses is very eye opening! Often the newer lecturers are handed what are considered the worst courses to teach, and often they have little experience of the subject matter. A PhD shows an ability to learn and determination to complete, that can be applied to learning and teaching a new subject. If the subject you are interested in teaching has little interest from academics already in the department you have a very good chance, even if it is outside your subject area. If it is a popular course or an academic has being teaching the course for a long time, and has 'settled', then you have little chance. It would also depend on the university, obviously you would have much tougher competition in universities held in high regard.

So if you are prepared to be flexible on the specific engineering subject that you want to teach and lecturers are in demand then you have an excellent chance.

IMO.

Likes fog37

1. What is a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program?

A "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program is a graduate program that combines advanced studies in physics with teaching and engineering coursework. It prepares students for careers in academia, research, or industry where they can apply their knowledge of physics to solve engineering problems and teach others about the subject.

2. What are the requirements for a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program?

The specific requirements for a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program may vary depending on the university, but typically they include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and/or previous teaching experience.

3. What courses can I expect to take in a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program?

Courses in a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program may include advanced physics topics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, as well as engineering courses in areas like materials science, fluid mechanics, and electronics. Students may also take courses in teaching methods, curriculum development, and educational psychology.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" programs?

Graduates of "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" programs can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, in industry as engineers or consultants, or in government as policy advisors or science educators. They may also choose to work in a variety of interdisciplinary fields that combine physics and engineering, such as renewable energy, biomedical engineering, or aerospace engineering.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program?

The length of a "Physics Phd Teaching Engineering" program can vary, but it typically takes around 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and teaching requirements. Some programs may offer the option to complete a master's degree along the way, while others may require students to complete a separate master's degree before beginning the Phd program.