Can I do PhD in Physics if I have Bachelors in Engineering and 14 years of industry experience?

In summary: The answer to that question is, "It Depends." First, you should consider your long-term career goals. A PhD in Physics can open up a lot of very interesting research opportunities. It can also lead to a career in academia, where you can continue doing research and teaching. Second, you should think about your retirement. A PhD in Physics can give you a very solid foundation for a successful career in retirement. You'll have a lot of experience and knowledge to fall back on. You'll also be able to teach and share your knowledge with other people.Finally, you should think about your family. You should be sure that a PhD in Physics is the right choice for you. If
amoonaa
I have bachelors degree in electric engineering and masters in engineering management and 14 years of experience in software product development. So no experience in physics at all.

Is it possible to do a phd in physics ? Its always been my passion that i now think about pursuing

Likes jbergman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you say what country you are in, or at least what country your BS/MS are from, and what country(ies) you are considering for your PhD applications?

How did you do in the highest level Physics and Math classes that you took in university? What was your cumulative GPA for those courses?

What specializations in Physics interest you the most, and which do you want to pursue with your PhD studies?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Can you say what country you are in, or at least what country your BS/MS are from, and what country(ies) you are considering for your PhD applications?

How did you do in the highest level Physics and Math classes that you took in university? What was your cumulative GPA for those courses?

What specializations in Physics interest you the most, and which do you want to pursue with your PhD studies?
My bachelor's is from Jordan and masters from Australia. I graduated with distinction in both degrees. I've always been interested in classical mechanics. As for the degrees i was straight A student in physics and B in math.

Likes berkeman
Possible? Sure.
Possibile right now without additional preparation? Probably not.

How do you plan to pay for this? It is a lot easier if you can pay for that preparation than if you need someone else to do so.

You also need to think about your long term career goals, retirelment and how that fits in. You must be approximately 36 now. Add 3 years for the remedial work,. 7 years for a PhD, two 3 year postfoc and you'll be starting a potentially permanenet job in physics at about age 52.

Vanadium 50 said:
Possible? Sure.
Possibile right now without additional preparation? Probably not.

How do you plan to pay for this? It is a lot easier if you can pay for that preparation than if you need someone else to do so.

You also need to think about your long term career goals, retirelment and how that fits in. You must be approximately 36 now. Add 3 years for the remedial work,. 7 years for a PhD, two 3 year postfoc and you'll be starting a potentially permanenet job in physics at about age 52.
Can you let me know please what type additional preparation is required?

I'm definitely planning to do self fund or best case scenario a partially funded program

berkeman said:
That's a good start! Have you considered taking a PGRE practice exam to see where you stand after having been out of school for a while (and hence probably a bit rusty in Physics and Math)?

http://sites.apam.columbia.edu/courses/apph4903x/exam_GR0177.pdf
Thank you, ill have a have a look at it right now

Likes berkeman
You need a BS in physics or the equivalent.
You need letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your suitability for grad schools.
In the US, you need to take the PGRE for many schools.

That's what you need to catch up on.

Likes amoonaa
In the title, you ask the question,

"Can I do PhD in Physics if I have Bachelors in Engineering and 14 years of industry experience?"​

The answer is, "Yes. Yes, you can."

In your first post, you ask the question,

amoonaa said:
Is it possible to do a phd in physics ?

The answer is, "Yes. Yes, it is possible."

But that leaves two key unasked questions. The first is, "Why do I want to do a PhD in Physics?" So far, the only hint we have is,

amoonaa said:
Its always been my passion that i now think about pursuing

You should elaborate more, because it's needed to answer the second,

"Should I do a PhD in Physics?"

1. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering. Many universities and research institutions have interdisciplinary programs that allow individuals with different backgrounds to pursue a PhD in Physics.

2. Will my 14 years of industry experience be considered for admission into a PhD program in Physics?

Yes, your industry experience can be considered for admission into a PhD program in Physics. Many universities value real-world experience and may take it into account during the admissions process.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in Physics to pursue a PhD in the field?

While a strong background in Physics is helpful, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer preparatory courses or bridge programs for individuals with non-Physics backgrounds to help them catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills.

4. Will my engineering degree be beneficial for a PhD in Physics?

Yes, your engineering degree can be beneficial for a PhD in Physics. It may provide you with a different perspective and skill set that can be applied to research in Physics. Additionally, if your engineering degree is related to a specific area of Physics, it can be advantageous for your research.

5. How long will it take to complete a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering and industry experience?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in Physics can vary depending on individual circumstances, but it typically takes 4-6 years. Your previous experience and knowledge may help you progress through the program faster, but it ultimately depends on the requirements of the program and your research progress.