Physics PhD Without a Bachelor's Degree - Does this Person Seem Familiar?

• Thread starter FulhamFan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: Are you sure you didn't mean the GRE math test? As far as...That's the one. Thanks for catching that. I was going to say that I didn't get a perfect score on the GMAT math test, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.The person you're describing is Freeman Dyson.
FulhamFan3
I don't know if this is the right place to post it but I'm doing it.

I remember reading a bio on someone who earned a physics Ph.D at Cambridge without having a bachelor's degree. I think he got into the program by impressing Einstein or some prominent physicist by exchanging ideas by mail.

Does this person seem familliar to anyone?

I've tried Google and I just keep getting Jane Goodall.

Physics news on Phys.org
FulhamFan3 said:
I remember reading a bio on someone who earned a physics Ph.D at Cambridge without having a bachelor's degree. I think he got into the program by impressing Einstein or some prominent physicist by exchanging ideas by mail.

Does this person seem familliar to anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moffat_%28physicist%29" .

What about the physicist who: received a Bachelor's in Mathematics from Cambridge; became a professor at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies, but never got a Ph.D.; possibly should have won a Nobel Prize in physics, but missed out becauzse at most three person can share the Nobel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an M.A. in math with no Bachelor's. I didn't impress Einstein. What happened was that I was an undergraduate at Rutgers and finished all of the math courses that they offered, but did not have enough credits to graduate. I asked if I could take graduate math courses for undergraduate credit. When they said yes, I then went to Temple U. and told them what Rutgers had said. Then I asked if I could just be accepted into their graduate program. They said that if I got a perfect score in the GMAT math test (not the generic one, but the specialized one) they would accept me. I did not get a perfect score, but it was close. For what reason I cannot guess, they didn't say that I couldn't attend because of my score, they said I couldn't attend because they had no fellowship for me. I said I would pay and they said I was in. After the first semester, someone dropped out and they gave me his fellowship.

jimmysnyder said:
I have an M.A. in math with no Bachelor's. I didn't impress Einstein. What happened was that I was an undergraduate at Rutgers and finished all of the math courses that they offered, but did not have enough credits to graduate. I asked if I could take graduate math courses for undergraduate credit. When they said yes, I then went to Temple U. and told them what Rutgers had said. Then I asked if I could just be accepted into their graduate program. They said that if I got a perfect score in the GMAT math test (not the generic one, but the specialized one) they would accept me. I did not get a perfect score, but it was close. For what reason I cannot guess, they didn't say that I couldn't attend because of my score, they said I couldn't attend because they had no fellowship for me. I said I would pay and they said I was in. After the first semester, someone dropped out and they gave me his fellowship.

Now, that's some mathematician trivia. :rolleyes:

neutrino said:
Now, that's some mathematician trivia. :rolleyes:
True, the story interests me more than it does others. There's a game where you tell two truths and one lie about yourself and others have to guess which is the lie. This is always picked as the lie.

George Jones said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moffat_%28physicist%29" .

What about the physicist who: received a Bachelor's in Mathematics from Cambridge; became a professor at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies, but never got a Ph.D.; possibly should have won a Nobel Prize in physics, but missed out becauzse at most three person can share the Nobel?

Thanks. That's exactly who I was looking for.

The person you're describing is Freeman Dyson.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:

Are you sure you didn't mean the GRE math test? As far as I know there is no specialized GMAT test for math and the math portion of the GMAT is so simple that I don't know how you could prove you know enough for graduate school with it.

Related to Physics PhD Without a Bachelor's Degree - Does this Person Seem Familiar?

1. How is it possible to pursue a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree?

While it is uncommon, it is possible to pursue a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree. Some universities offer combined undergraduate and graduate programs, allowing students to earn both a bachelor's and a master's degree in physics simultaneously. In these cases, the student can continue onto a PhD program without technically having a bachelor's degree. Additionally, some universities may consider applicants with extensive research experience or exceptional academic achievements for a direct entry into a PhD program.

2. What qualifications are typically required for someone to pursue a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree?

Qualifications for pursuing a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree may vary depending on the university and program. However, most universities will require a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as extensive research experience and a high GPA. Some universities may also require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field.

3. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree?

One potential disadvantage is that without a bachelor's degree, the person may not have received a well-rounded education in other fields, such as humanities or social sciences. This may limit their perspective and ability to make connections between physics and other disciplines. Additionally, without a bachelor's degree, the person may not have taken courses specifically designed to prepare them for a PhD program, such as advanced research methods or writing and communication skills.

4. Can a person with a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree still pursue a career in academia?

Yes, a person with a PhD in physics without a bachelor's degree can still pursue a career in academia. However, they may face some challenges, such as having a less diverse educational background and potentially being less competitive for certain academic positions. It's important for them to showcase their strengths and skills, such as their research experience and publications, in order to stand out in the competitive academic job market.

5. Are there any notable examples of successful physicists who pursued a PhD without a bachelor's degree?

Yes, there are a few notable examples of successful physicists who pursued a PhD without a bachelor's degree. One example is Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman, who entered graduate school at Princeton University without having earned a bachelor's degree. Another example is physicist and Nobel Prize winner Gerard 't Hooft, who also did not have a bachelor's degree when he began his PhD program at Utrecht University. These individuals are exceptions, however, and it is still more common for individuals to pursue a PhD in physics with a bachelor's degree.