Physics Practical: Check proportionality

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show inverse proportionality between two variables and the meaning of a 20% uncertainty in the calculations. The method used involves calculating the percentage difference and uncertainty of the variables. However, given the limited number of measurements, it is not reasonable to draw conclusions about the relationship between the variables. A fun exercise is suggested to calculate the height needed to tilt a bottle by 90 degrees without tipping over.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For part d), how to show that they are inversely proportional to each other ? The mark scheme states:

"Correct calculation to check inverse proportionality. √h x cosϑ = k. Sensible comments relating to calculations to within 20% or their own value and suggested relation."

What do they mean by 20%?

Homework Equations

Percentage uncertainty = (uncertainty/measured value) x100%

The Attempt at a Solution

My values are,

√h = (2.95±0.1) cm, cos θ = 0.50. k1 = 2.95 x 0.50 = 1.475
√h = (2.30±0.1) cm, cos θ = 0.64, k2 = 2.30 x 0.64 = 1.472

I calculated the percentage difference of k,
((1.475-1.472) /1.472 ) x 100% = 0.2%

Then I calculated the uncertainty of √h = (0.1 / 2.30) x 100% = 4.3%

This is the method I followed from a textbook, so what does the 20% in the mark scheme represents ? Hope you all understand what I'm doing here..

Physics news on Phys.org
The square root of a height should not have centimeters as units.

A 20% uncertainty which the quoted text might suggest would be very large.

I don't like the way the problem is set up. With just those two measurements, it is not reasonable to draw any conclusions about the relation between h and θ.

Fun exercise: calculate the height h which allows tilting the bottle by 90 degrees without tipping over. Is this realistic?

mfb said:
The square root of a height should not have centimeters as units.

A 20% uncertainty which the quoted text might suggest would be very large.

I don't like the way the problem is set up. With just those two measurements, it is not reasonable to draw any conclusions about the relation between h and θ.

Fun exercise: calculate the height h which allows tilting the bottle by 90 degrees without tipping over. Is this realistic?

Oh yeah, was not aware, sorry.

Hmm.. what do you mean tilting the bottle by 90 degrees?

Which height h corresponds to θ=0? Is that realistic?
What happens if you reduce h a bit more?

Related to Physics Practical: Check proportionality

1. What is the purpose of checking proportionality in a physics experiment?

The purpose of checking proportionality in a physics experiment is to determine the relationship between two variables. This allows for a better understanding of the physical phenomenon being studied and can help in the development of mathematical models to describe the relationship.

2. How can proportionality be checked in a physics practical?

Proportionality can be checked by plotting a graph of the two variables and observing if the data points form a straight line. If the data points follow a linear trend, then the two variables are proportional to each other.

3. What is the difference between direct and inverse proportionality?

In direct proportionality, as one variable increases, the other variable also increases at a constant rate. In inverse proportionality, as one variable increases, the other variable decreases at a constant rate.

4. What does the slope of a proportional graph represent?

The slope of a proportional graph represents the constant of proportionality, which is the ratio between the two variables being studied. It can also be interpreted as the rate of change between the two variables.

5. Can proportionality be checked for non-linear relationships?

No, proportionality can only be checked for linear relationships. Non-linear relationships do not follow a constant rate of change and therefore cannot be represented by a straight line on a graph.