How Do You Calculate the Young's Modulus of Spiderman's Webs from Spiderman 2?

In summary, Spiderman web's have a mass of 164,637.4 kg, a velocity of 0 m/s when fired, and a deceleration of 1.192 m/s^2.
Connah
Hi, we've recently been set a task by our physics teacher to try and calculate the Young's Modulus of Spiderman's webs in the train stopping scene of Spiderman 2. Doing research on the mass of the carriage + passengers, calculating forces from that and also using things like the velocity, acceleration/deceleration, length and extension of the webs, number of webs, time taken to stop and distance travelled. So far I have ΔL of the webs to be 600m, the unstretched length of each web to be 16m approx cross-sectional area per web to be 3.14x10^-4 m^2, mass including passengers of the 6 carriages to be 164,637.4kg, final velocity as 0m/s, initial velocity (at time he fires first web) as 35.75m/s and the time between firing first web and coming to a stop as 30 seconds. Also the deceleration as 1.192m/s^2 (or -1.192, I forget if I need the minus or not). Also there are 16 webs in total, assumed to be identical. - P.S I've had to calculate every one of these values they weren't given, just in case you think I'm lazy :)I'm guessing I may need the SUVAT motion equations? Definitely equations for tensile stress and strain, and the basic force and speed equations. Obviously I may be wrong which is why I'm asking for some input x)I haven't attempted much of it yet apart from working out almost every value I can, I need help working out how you would use deceleration to work out the force on the webs as they're horizontal and I'm used to just weights hanging off vertical supports but I would assume it's more or less similar? I'm also not sure how to get the stress and strain with there being 16 webs in total I'm just a little stuck but I would appreciate some expertise here with helping me solve this problem. I would guess the answer to be a little unrealistic, too, based on some values to be approximate and the fact its a Spiderman movie. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use suvat equations, or you could try conservation of energy assuming all the initial KE of the train ends up stored in the web.

Is this the scene where the train car's falling and almost crashes onto a boat?Here's a list of equations that involve youngs modulus, with respect to both force and energy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus#Calculation

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Is this the scene where the train car's falling and almost crashes onto a boat?

I would guess this is the intended scene:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

First of all, I'm glad to see you are taking on this task and using your knowledge of physics to analyze a scene from a movie. It's important to note that while Spiderman's webs may not be realistic, the calculations and principles you are using are still valid and can provide insight into the physics involved.

To calculate the Young's Modulus of Spiderman's webs, we need to use the formula E = (F/A)/(ΔL/L), where E is the Young's Modulus, F is the force applied, A is the cross-sectional area, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length.

From the information you provided, we can calculate the force applied on each web using the equation F = ma, where m is the mass of the carriage + passengers and a is the deceleration. This will give us the total force applied on all 16 webs.

Next, we can calculate the change in length using the equation ΔL = (F/A)*L. Here, we will use the cross-sectional area and the unstretched length of each web to calculate the change in length for each web. We can then find the average change in length for all 16 webs.

Finally, we can plug these values into the Young's Modulus equation to calculate the Young's Modulus of Spiderman's webs.

As for the stress and strain, we can use the equations σ = F/A and ε = ΔL/L to calculate the stress and strain on each web. We can then find the average stress and strain for all 16 webs.

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations and understanding of the physics involved in this scene. Remember, even though it may seem unrealistic, it's important to use the principles and equations of physics to analyze and understand the world around us. Keep up the good work!

1. How was Spiderman able to stop the train in "Spiderman 2" without breaking the laws of physics?

In the movie, Spiderman uses his web-slinging abilities to attach himself to the train and use his strength to slow it down. While this may seem unrealistic, it is actually possible according to Newton's Third Law of Motion which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. By exerting a force on the train, Spiderman is also experiencing an equal force in the opposite direction, allowing him to slow it down without breaking the laws of physics.

2. How did Spiderman manage to survive the impact of the train hitting him?

In the scene, Spiderman is hit by the train after he stops it. This may seem impossible, but it can be explained by the concept of impulse. When an object experiences a sudden change in momentum, it also experiences a large force. In this case, Spiderman's body was able to absorb the impact and distribute it over a longer period of time, reducing the force and allowing him to survive.

3. How did Spiderman manage to hold onto the train despite its high speed?

Spiderman's web-slinging abilities allow him to create strong and flexible webs that can support his weight and withstand high speeds. In this scene, he is also using his strength and agility to maintain his grip on the train. While it may seem unrealistic, it is not impossible for someone with enhanced strength and reflexes like Spiderman.

4. How much force did Spiderman exert to stop the train?

It is difficult to determine the exact amount of force that Spiderman exerted to stop the train as it would depend on various factors such as the weight and speed of the train, as well as Spiderman's strength and technique. However, it can be estimated that he would have exerted a force of several thousand pounds in order to stop the train in such a short amount of time.

5. Could anyone with superhuman abilities like Spiderman perform the same feat?

While it may seem like anyone with superhuman abilities could stop a train like Spiderman did, it is important to remember that the laws of physics still apply. It would require immense strength, reflexes, and precision to execute such a feat without causing harm to oneself or others. Therefore, it is unlikely that anyone with superhuman abilities could perform the same feat without proper training and control over their abilities.