Physics vs. Combined Phys & Astro

In summary, there are two options for obtaining a degree in physics at the speaker's school: an honours physics degree or a combined honours degree in physics and astronomy. The latter involves taking fewer upper level physics courses, replacing an electrical laboratory with an optics laboratory, and replacing a final year physics laboratory with an astronomy laboratory. The speaker's concern is how either of these degrees would affect their chances of getting into graduate school, particularly if they decide to pursue a different field (e.g. astronomy or physics) than their chosen degree. It is advised that for those interested in attending graduate school, a degree in physics would be the better option as combined physics/astronomy grads may face difficulties in the qualifying exam.
StrangelyQuarky
So my school offers both an honours physics degree and a combined honours degree in physics and astronomy. The combined degree basically entails taking slightly less upper level physics courses in exchange for astronomy courses, the replacement of an electrical laboratory with an optics laboratory, and the replacement of a final year physics laboratory with an astronomy laboratory.

My question is, how would taking either of these degrees affect grad school applications? For example, if I did the physics degree but at the end decided I wanted to go into grad school to do astronomy, would it look bad that I had not taken the combined physics and astronomy option? Alternatively, if I did physics and astronomy but decided I wanted to do physics in grad school, would that have a negative impact too (since I will have fewer upper level physics courses)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to go to graduate school, you want a degree in physics. Astronomy and astrophysics grads who enter grad school in combined physics/astronomy departments have a much harder time with the qualifying exam than physics grads, and the admissions committees know this.

1. What is the difference between physics and combined physics and astronomy?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world. Combined physics and astronomy is a subfield of physics that specifically studies the application of physics principles to astronomical phenomena.

2. Can someone with a physics degree still work in the field of combined physics and astronomy?

Yes, someone with a physics degree can still work in the field of combined physics and astronomy. Many universities offer combined physics and astronomy programs, and there are also opportunities for physicists to specialize in astrophysics or work on projects that involve both physics and astronomy.

3. Is combined physics and astronomy considered a separate branch of physics?

Yes, combined physics and astronomy is considered a separate branch of physics. It combines principles and techniques from both physics and astronomy to study objects and phenomena in the universe.

4. How do the job opportunities differ between physics and combined physics and astronomy?

The job opportunities for physics and combined physics and astronomy can vary. Physics graduates may work in a wide range of industries, such as engineering, technology, or finance. Combined physics and astronomy graduates may work in research positions at universities, government agencies, or observatories.

5. What are the potential research areas in combined physics and astronomy?

There are many potential research areas in combined physics and astronomy, including cosmology, planetary science, astrophysics, and high-energy astrophysics. Some specific research topics may include the study of dark matter and energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, or the search for exoplanets.