Physics vs Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's concerns about choosing a major between physics and mechanical engineering, specifically in terms of job opportunities and the challenges of pursuing a PhD in physics. They also mention their attraction towards theoretical physics but have reservations about the competitiveness and pressures within the field. The individual also mentions their interest in understanding rather than purely proving results, and suggests that having financial stability could make pursuing a PhD in physics more enjoyable.
jouncey
I'm an incoming senior in high school and beginning college apps. I'm looking into majors and trying to figure out which is best for me.

I have a couple of questions about physics vs mechanical engineering:
1) Which field is best for a woman, not only in college but as a career?
2) Is a PhD in physics really worth it? How does getting a PhD in physics compare to getting a BS in mechanical engineering?

I've always wanted to do some kind of physics research, but after reading horror stories online about people dropping out and/or ending up with an unsatisfactory non-STEM job and the long, arduous path towards a good physics career, I'm now shying away from a physics major. Still, I enjoy theoretical more than applied, so I'm still iffy about mechanical engineering.

Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, I always give grad school a thumbs down, unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else. However, you might think about trying to pick an area in physics that is more marketable in industry, like maybe semi-conductor physics. There seem to be a few of those. You still have to have a pretty strong stomach to get through grad school, though, so it should still only be considered with great caution.

It's hard to tell if you actually enjoy theoretical more than applied at such an early stage. I thought I liked math (specifically, mathematical physics and topology) more than EE, so I ditched it, with tremendous success at first, but as time went on, I realized that the issues I had with math, in the long run, dwarfed any problems I had with electrical engineering. I think I was drawn to theory for a long time because I liked understanding. When I found out that mathematicians are more concerned with proving results than understanding (and you might find something similar to be the case in physics), there was no motivation for me to keep doing it because I enjoy understanding, not merely proving results. Applied stuff used to seem kind of dirty to me because you couldn't assume the ugly details away or something like that (although I was also very interested in theoretical physics). But now, very applied stuff seems so much more attractive to me because you can accomplish concrete things with all that ridiculous amount of work you are putting in, rather than just publish a paper than only 5 people in the world care about.

I'm curious about the laws of nature, but I don't envy physics professors at this point, having to deal with all the competition and pressure, and the whole tenure time bomb and everything. Plus, teaching. Really, I think a much more pleasant way to be a physicist would be if you happened to get lucky and be independently wealthy, so that you don't need to have a formal position and deal with all the pressures of academia. That's one of the few cases in which I might say a PhD in physics is a good idea.

Related to Physics vs Mechanical Engineering?

1. What is the main difference between physics and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between physics and mechanical engineering is their focus. Physics is a branch of science that studies the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and their interactions, while mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies these principles to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems.

2. Can a physicist work as a mechanical engineer?

Yes, a physicist can work as a mechanical engineer, although they may need additional training and education in engineering principles and design. Many physicists have gone on to become successful mechanical engineers, leveraging their knowledge of fundamental scientific principles to solve complex engineering problems.

3. Which field offers more career opportunities, physics, or mechanical engineering?

Both physics and mechanical engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities. Physics graduates can find jobs in research, teaching, and various industries, such as electronics, energy, and aerospace. Mechanical engineering graduates can also work in these industries, as well as in manufacturing, automotive, and robotics. The demand for both fields is expected to grow in the coming years.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to become a mechanical engineer?

While a strong foundation in physics is beneficial for a career in mechanical engineering, it is not a requirement. Mechanical engineering programs cover the necessary physics principles, and students can also specialize in areas such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and solid mechanics to gain a deeper understanding of the physics involved in mechanical systems.

5. Which field has a higher salary potential, physics, or mechanical engineering?

Both physics and mechanical engineering are well-paying fields with high salary potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for physicists is around $122,220, while the median salary for mechanical engineers is around $88,430. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as education, experience, and industry. Ultimately, the salary potential in either field depends on an individual's skills, qualifications, and job market demand.