Physics with a double major in Math. Need help

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic background and the various options for their second major in Mathematics. They are seeking advice on whether to choose the Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics track, as well as considering the Statistic track. The conversation also mentions the potential applications of different math tracks in the field of physics and the importance of seeking guidance from a physics advisor. The speaker also shares a personal experience where a seemingly unrelated math topic ended up being useful in their physics career.
Leonardus
Hi everyone,

I am currently in my second year in NTU Singapore. I am taking Physics with a second major in Mathematics.

For physics, there is only the Pure Physics track for me. For mathematics however, I will soon have to choose between Pure Mathematics track and Applied Mathematics track. Which mathematics track do you think is best for me?

Anyway, I actually have one more Mathematics track to choose besides the two mentioned above. My school offers the Statistic track for math majors. Do you think choosing this track will do me any good?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're hanging in with Physics then the Applied Math makes more sense. However, if you really enjoy the math and might want to switch over to being a Math major then the Pure Math makes sense.

I'd also look up what Applied Math subjects your school teaches and then you can decide how well they match with your physics. Often the Applied Math topics are useful when learning about computer simulation of physical systems.

You could also talk with your physics advisor about it and get their input. Sometimes Pure Math may have useful application further on in your physics career.

When I was in school, I was a Physics major who dared to take Algebraic Topology skipping Abstract Algebra and Set Theory with disastrous results as I often struggled with the proofs. However years later, I found that Algebraic Topology had uses in General Relativity which at the time were totally unknown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime_topology

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/blackhl.htm

Likes Leonardus

What is the benefit of having a double major in Physics and Math?

A double major in Physics and Math allows for a deeper understanding of both subjects and can open up more career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and data analysis.

Is it difficult to balance the workload of a double major in Physics and Math?

It can be challenging to balance the workload, but with good time management and prioritization, it is definitely possible. It may also be helpful to take courses that overlap in both majors to minimize the number of classes.

What types of courses are typically required for a double major in Physics and Math?

Courses in Physics with a double major in Math often include advanced calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and abstract algebra. In addition, there are typically courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.

What are some potential career paths for someone with a double major in Physics and Math?

Some potential careers for someone with a double major in Physics and Math include data analyst, research scientist, engineer, financial analyst, and teacher. These majors provide valuable analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly sought after in various industries.

What are the benefits of studying Physics and Math together?

Studying Physics and Math together allows for a better understanding of the fundamental principles and theories in both subjects. This combination also enhances critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are transferable to many different careers.