Physiology of the muscles: The T Tubules

In summary, the T tubules are a network of transverse tubules that surround myofibrils and can carry the wave of action potential from the surface of the muscle fiber to the cell interior. This process is mediated by the T tubules and the sarcoplasmic reticulum, and can be visualized through an animation.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hi all,

My textbook says that the T tubules, which form an extensive network of transverse tubules that surround myofibrils, can carry the wave of action potential from the surface of the muscle fiber to the cell interior.

Could you help me understand the sentence in bold because I'm not sure I understand it well.

Thanks in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Hi all,

My textbook says that the T tubules, which form an extensive network of transverse tubules that surround myofibrils, can carry the wave of action potential from the surface of the muscle fiber to the cell interior.

Could you help me understand the sentence in bold because I'm not sure I understand it well.

Thanks in advance!

This may help.
https://highered.mheducation.com/si...action_potentials_and_muscle_contraction.html

@SciencewithDrJ
You say that the T tubules and the sarcoplasmic reticulum are what transfer the action potential between the different myofibrils?

Please look at the animation and try to figure out how the T tubule mediates the action potential. Action potential enters the neuron through the T-tubules.

1. What are T tubules and how do they function in muscle physiology?

T tubules, also known as transverse tubules, are small invaginations in the sarcolemma (cell membrane) of muscle cells. They function to rapidly transmit action potentials deep into the muscle fiber, allowing for synchronized contraction of muscle fibers.

2. How do T tubules contribute to muscle contraction?

T tubules contain specialized proteins and ion channels that allow for the propagation of action potentials along the entire length of the muscle fiber. This triggers the release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum, which then bind to proteins in the muscle cell, initiating the process of muscle contraction.

3. Can T tubules be found in all types of muscle?

Yes, T tubules are present in both skeletal and cardiac muscle. However, the structure and distribution of T tubules may vary slightly between these two types of muscle.

4. What happens if T tubules are damaged or dysfunctional?

If T tubules are damaged or dysfunctional, it can disrupt the transmission of action potentials and the release of calcium ions, leading to impaired muscle contraction. This can result in conditions such as muscle weakness or fatigue.

5. Are there any diseases or conditions associated with abnormalities in T tubule function?

Yes, there are several diseases and conditions that can affect T tubule function, including muscular dystrophy, myotonic disorders, and heart failure. These conditions can lead to impaired muscle contraction and weakness due to disruptions in the T tubule system.