Picking a Graduate School UF vs UM

In summary, the speaker is an aerospace engineering student trying to decide between the University of Florida and the University of Michigan for their master's degree. UF is more affordable but UM offers a program in gas dynamics, while UF offers a program in fluid dynamics. The speaker has been accepted to both schools for the fall 2013 term and is seeking advice on how to make a decision. They are encouraged to consider factors beyond finances, such as professors, curriculum, research opportunities, and campus culture, in order to make the best choice for their future.
josefer
I am an aerospace engineering student trying to decide which graduate school to pick.
I will be getting my masters degree, and I am trying to decide between the University of Florida (where I did my undergrad) OR the University of Michigan. At UF I would go into the fluid dynamics area and at UM I would go into the gas dynamics area.
I have been accepted to both for the fall 2013 term, and I am having a hard time picking... UF is much much cheaper than Michigan (28000 per year TOTAL (tuition + everything else) vs 40000 per year at Michigan (ONLY tuition))
Thank!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When considering your options, you need to think about more than just the financial aspects. What advantages does each school offer? Are there professors at either school that you would like to work with? Does one school have a curriculum or research opportunities that better suit your interests? Do either schools offer specializations or programs that could help you professionally in the future?Finally, take some time to visit both campuses if possible and get a feel for the atmosphere and culture of each school. This will be important in helping you decide which school fits you best. Good luck!

Related to Picking a Graduate School UF vs UM

1. What are the differences between UF and UM's graduate school programs?

UF and UM both offer a wide range of graduate programs, but there are some key differences between the two universities. UF is a larger public university with a higher number of graduate programs, while UM is a smaller private university with a more focused selection of graduate programs. Additionally, UF is known for its strong research opportunities, while UM is known for its emphasis on liberal arts and professional programs.

2. Which university has a better reputation for graduate studies?

Both UF and UM have strong reputations for their graduate programs, but it ultimately depends on the specific program you are interested in. UF is typically ranked higher in terms of overall university rankings, while UM is often ranked higher for specific programs such as law, business, and medicine. It is important to research the reputation of the specific program you are interested in at each university.

3. What is the cost difference between UF and UM's graduate programs?

As a public university, UF generally has lower tuition costs for in-state students compared to UM, which is a private university. However, UM may offer more financial aid and scholarship opportunities for graduate students. It is important to consider not just the initial cost, but also any potential financial aid or scholarship opportunities when comparing the cost of graduate programs.

4. How does the location of each university impact the graduate school experience?

UF is located in Gainesville, a smaller college town in northern Florida, while UM is located in Coral Gables, a suburban area near Miami. The location of the university may impact the overall experience of graduate school, as you may have different opportunities for internships, networking, and cultural experiences depending on the location. It is important to consider your personal preferences and goals when deciding which location may be a better fit for you.

5. What is the acceptance rate for graduate programs at UF and UM?

The acceptance rate for graduate programs at UF and UM varies depending on the specific program and department. Generally, both universities have competitive acceptance rates for their graduate programs, so it is important to have a strong application, including a high GPA, relevant experience, and strong letters of recommendation. It is also recommended to apply to multiple universities to increase your chances of acceptance.