Piezo Actuator Power Consumption

In summary: An electrically piezo actuator is modeled as a capacitor. This is an approximation for low frequencies and it depends on the properties of the piezo element. In reality, there is power consumed and an apparent power. The apparent power is calculated as ## P = U_{rms}^2 /|Z|##, where Z is the complex input impedance of the element. The actual power is given by ## P_a = U_{rms}^2 /Re(Z)##.
emosier
Hi all,

Mechanical engineer needing some electrical help. So electrically piezo actuators are modeled as capacitors.

Power(P) = C*U*dU/dt, where U equals voltage.

I'm seeing several sites like here: http://www.piezo.ws/piezoelectric_actuator_tutorial/Piezo_Design_part3.php

They say for sinusoidal operation Pavg ≈ C*U^2*f and Pmax ≈ ∏*C*U^2*f (assuming you start from 0 Volts).

So my questions are:
1. How can you substitute U*f for dU/dt to get average power from the main power equation?
2. How is Pmax ≈ ∏*Pavg?
3. What does average power mean for a cycling device? Wouldn't RMS make more sense?

Hopefully someone with some familiarity and/or better math skills can help me out.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a pure capacitor, no resistance. Average power over an entire cycle is zero. The relevant equations are

I=C dV/dt
P=VI instantaneous
P=0 average if I and V are 90 degrees out of phase.

emosier said:
electrically piezo actuators are modeled as capacitors.
This is a good approximation at low frequencies, that is well below any of the resonant frequencies of the piezo element.
As a mechanical engineer, you realize that each piezo element will have its own modes of vibrations. The exact frequency of the vibrational modes depends on the shape, dimension, stiffness and density of the piezo element, etc.
In the simplest case, the lowest resonant frequency will be much lower than higher modes. In this case, the electrical equivalent would consist of a large capacitor in parallel with a series LCR resonant circuit with low capacitance and high equivalent inductance. The equivalent resistance would depend on the properties of the material as well as on the applied load, if any.

The net result is that electrically, the piezo element has a complex, frequency-dependent impedance. Usually, manufacturers would provide the impedance vs frequency curve for their product.
At the end of the day, there is apparent and real power consumed by the element.
The apparent power is calculated as ## P = U_{rms}^2 /|Z|##, where Z is the complex input impedance of the element while the actual power is given by ## P_a = U_{rms}^2 /Re(Z)##,
I know, I'm not specific enough but that's the whole picture. Details really depend on an actual piezo actuator.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a piezo actuator?

A piezo actuator is a type of actuator that uses the piezoelectric effect to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion. It is commonly used in various applications such as precision positioning, micro-dispensing, and vibration control.

2. How does a piezo actuator consume power?

A piezo actuator consumes power by converting electrical energy into mechanical motion through the piezoelectric effect. This means that when an electric field is applied to the piezoelectric material, it will change shape and produce mechanical motion.

3. What factors affect the power consumption of a piezo actuator?

The power consumption of a piezo actuator can be affected by several factors including the size and type of the actuator, the applied voltage, the frequency of operation, and the load on the actuator. Generally, smaller actuators and higher frequencies will require less power to operate.

4. How can power consumption be reduced in a piezo actuator?

One way to reduce power consumption in a piezo actuator is to use a more efficient power supply such as a switching power supply. Additionally, using a smaller actuator and optimizing the frequency and voltage of operation can also help reduce power consumption.

5. Are there any trade-offs between power consumption and performance in piezo actuators?

Yes, there can be trade-offs between power consumption and performance in piezo actuators. For example, using a lower voltage or frequency to reduce power consumption may also result in a slower response or lower force output. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements and applications when selecting a piezo actuator to balance power consumption and performance.